So I was riding in this bus down Asylum Avenue towards the suburbs, right, and we were near the corner of Elizabeth and Asylum when a pack of starlings showed up and started flying in circles around the bus.

Now normally I don’t mind starlings so much. I think they get a more of a bad rap for kicking out bluebirds than they deserve. Yeah they poop and all, and they’re kind of loud, and they were loud this time, but really, they’re birds. I don’t give a damn about birds unless they’re eating my corn.

Everyone else on the bus was more than a little frustrated, though, especially the bus driver. Sure and I don’t blame her. She’s driving. Kind of hard to notice that the light has turned green when you’ve got starlings all up in your windshield. She shoved the bus forward through the mob though.

“This is absolutely intolerable,” said a short woman with poofy hair in front of me.

“They’re going to rain poop on my briefcase when I step outside,” said a fat woman with a three-piece suit next to me.

I blame myself,” said a curiously low and hoarse voice behind me.

I turned around. It was a crow.

“What on earth is a crow doing on a city bus?” I said.

“Same as you, jackass. I’m riding.”

“But – ”

“I paid my fare,” said the crow. “Dollar seventy five. I belong on this bus like anyone else.”

“As long as you don’t steal any of my gold rings,” said the woman in the three-piece suit, “I have no trouble with your presence on this bus. Yet tell me, crow, why does a crow bother to ride a city bus?”

I have a name, you know.”

“My apologies,” said the woman in the three-piece suit, “but you have not deigned to tell me your name. I am Cuthberta Morrigan. And you are?”

“Hang on,” said the Crow, “I should like to know the name of your seatmate as well.”

“Ermin K Murgatroyd,” said I.

“Is that a real human name?” said the crow.

It is now. Now, what about -- ”

“And what about the woman sitting in front of you?”

The woman with the poofy hair turned around. “Do I look like I give my name out to complete strangers?”

“Well,” said the crow, “Ermin K Murgatroyd here doesn’t mind giving me a silly fake name, so I don’t mind hearing one from you.”

“Do I look like I want to talk to a damn bird? We’ve still got these starlings bumping into the bus. They’re not letting up.” And it was true. The starlings had not abated their siege.

“Unless you’ve got a nice knitting pattern there,” said the crow, “I don’t think you have much better to do.”

“I think you have better things to do than ride a bus,” said the short woman with the poofy hair. “You’re supposed to be running around stealing water from the gods or something, like a proper crow.”

“Maybe if you give me a name I’ll tell you how many times I’ve stolen water from the gods,” said the crow.

“Alright, alright. My name is...Barb Dwyer. Alright, now how many times have you stolen water from the gods?”

“Not once.”

“Tricked!” said Barb. “Tricked by a crow! Oh, I should have known it would happen!

“You kinda walked right into that one,” I said.

The sound of the starlings was getting louder.

“But you have not yet told us your name,” said Cuthberta. “I should love to know it, in case I need to look you up in the phone book later and invite you to luncheon.”

“Nobody invites crows to luncheon,” said the crow, “we just show up. Fine. You want me to tell you my name? First I want to hear the name of everyone on this bus.”

The people around me grumbled in confusion. Someone with a sandwich said, “Are you serious?”

“ Make something up if you don’t want to tell me your real name. Go on. Don’t be shy. You there with the brown paper bag and the tall shoes. Who are you?”

“Cornelius K Jones.”

“And you there with the sandwich. Can I have some? Oh, and who are you?”

“Earl S. Andwich. And no.”

“And you there in the bus driver’s seat. What about you?”

Shandra Rhymes.”

The crow continued in this manner until the entire bus full of people had been convinced to give either their name or their pseudoname. All while the chatter of starlings continued outside.

“Now,” said the crow to the bus, “My name is Hwarrrrrrrrk.”

“Could you translate that, please?” I said.

“No,” said the crow, “But tell you what, call me Blanche.”

I snorted.

“And I would like to tell you all a story,” said the Crow.

“Oh, here we go,” said Barb.

“It is a story of your beloved city,” said the crow.

Beloved my ass,” I said. “I just live here.”

“Fine,” said Blanche the Crow, “It is a story of the birds of your city. Now, long ago by the count of my people, the humans brought another plague to this land, and called them Starlings.”

“Oh God,” said Barb, “She’s going to give us a tale of ethnic pride. Cover your ears.”

“The humans called them starlings,” said Blanche the Crow, “for the markings on their back. We crows also call them starlings, because they seem as numerous in the evening sky as the stars. Flying hither and thither in their great, incredibly-well-coordinated flocks. You can’t mob one without being mobbed instantly by five thousand. Anyway. Humans brought them here, and they spread over all the land, pushing out bluebirds – ”

“I didn’t think crows would give a damn about that,” I muttered to Barb.

“It’s a tale of ethnic pride,” muttered Barb. “You have to make the other side look bad to make your side look good.”

“ – and pooping over everything. Well, we crows have never minded, for there has long been plenty of space in the world for both of us, and where Starlings want seeds, crows will take what we can get.”

“Including gold rings,” said Cuthberta. “I have never forgiven your kind completely for what you stole from me.”

Blanche hopped onto Cuthberta’s shoulder and coughed up a gold ring into her lap. “Yeah,” said Blanche, “Sorry about that. Anyway, there’s about ten thousand of us crows in Hartford, and who knows how many Starlings, I could never count, who would bother, right? One looks like the other. We used to get along. Now, I don’t have a clue what happened to sour that relationship – ”

“Sure she doesn’t,” muttered Barb.

“ – But lately the starlings have all seemed to decide that Hartford doesn’t belong to crows anymore. So they’ve been mobbing us when they can find us. Now, I wouldn’t call that unusual, but when ten thousand starlings mob five crows you have to wonder what’s going on here. When a vast fleet of starlings goes all the way to the landfill to attack crows you have to ask what’s going on there. I don’t know. I can’t hardly ask one of them before they go after me.”

The sound of the starlings was getting louder.

“Which is why I chose to take this bus,” said the crow, “because I figured the starlings wouldn’t see me. Maybe I shouldn’t have stopped long enough to pay the fare. My apologies to you all for putting you in this situation. I am trying to think of how to extricate myself from it now.”

“It is a shame and a disgrace,” said Cuthberta, “That starlings should choose to exhibit this behavior, and upset the order of the city. I wondered myself why I saw so many starlings going after a single crow. Are there any crows left in Hartford?”

“Plenty,” said Blanche. “We’ve gotten pretty good at the disguises lately. The fellow you might have seen the other day wearing the tall top hat and the rumpled black coat, that was a few dozen of my friends. And we travel as a single flock, for the most part. I was stupid enough to think I could go out on my own.”

“You just wanted to doff the stifling disguise and be yourself,” I said, “Is that it?”

“No, I just wanted to get away from my mother for a while. Now, how are we going to get ourselves out of this mess?”

“Hang on a second,” said Barb, “you crows must have done SOMETHING to cause this mess.”

“Enough to cause starlings to go five miles out of their way to attack us at a place they don’t even care about? Well, I haven’t heard of it, but maybe a Starling has. Maybe you can ask one of them, and maybe they’ll be willing to tell you. I don’t know. How are we supposed to get out of this?”

The sound of starlings was growing louder, making conversation in the bus more difficult.

“How do I know this isn’t just another trick?” said Barb.

“I haven’t lied to you once in this conversation and I’m not about to start now,” said Blanche. “I’m just trying to apologize for the way my intrusion has caused a disturbance.”

“Not your fault,” I said. “The fault of the starlings. How DO we get out of this? Hm. Hm. If you put on a disguise, the starlings still know you’re in here.”

I looked out the windshield, which was populated entirely by starlings.

I looked out the windows to left and right, which were filled with starlings.

“I have an idea,” I said, “and it may be a nasty idea, and it may cause even more trouble for us humans, but then, the starlings have got us involved already. So. Shandra, would you be so kind as to open your driver’s window?”

“Excuse me?” said Shandra.

“Are you absolutely mad?” said Cuthberta.

“It sounds like you’re trying to give me up to the mob,” said Blanche.

“No, no,” I said, “just open the window a smidge and let a couple of the starlings force their way in, and then we’ll grab them. It will be fine.”

“Uh…”

“Trust me,” I said.

Shandra gave me a long, hard look, then sighed and went to the window. She opened it a smidge.

Immediately a mass of starlings began forcing their way in. Shandra recoiled and the window opened wider. Cuthberta and Barb and Cornelius rushed to the window and forced it closed against the mob.

There were now maybe ten or eleven birds in the bus. Blanche had disappeared, perhaps under one of the seats. Good thing, too, because ten or eleven starlings in a city bus is way too many. “Grab them!” I yelled to the bus passengers, but it took a while for people to get over their shock and actually get a hold of the birds.

By the time things had relatively settled down, there were ten people with a bird in their hands and fifty people who’d got bird poop on them. Earl S. Andwich was no longer eating his sandwich, for it had been dropped in the confusion, stepped on, then pooped on. Roberta’s hair had a feather stuck in it. Cutherberta was missing a gold ring.

The starlings outside the bus had retreated all of a sudden, leaving us sitting in the middle of an intersection. Shandra shook her head and started up the bus.

The starlings INSIDE the bus were chattering to beat the band. Over the noise I said to Blanche, hiding in my backpack, “Can you translate?”

“Let’s see…Oh! They’re saying that the crows are responsible for the death of the Ten Thousand.”

“WHAT ten thousand?”

“Ten thousand starlings were found dead all of a sudden. They’re saying that kicking out ten thousand crows from Hartford is fair recompense.”

“I don’t remember ten thousand dead starlings at all,” I said. “Do you, Cuthberta?”

“No, I remember a hundred dead starlings,” said Cuthberta. “And that was because the mayor decided he wanted to try to get rid of the starlings, so he set out poisoned seed.”

“Alright,” I said to the bus, “So that’s the trouble. Humans started the whole mess and then the starlings told the story again and again until it became a big lie meant to hurt the sort of peple they hate most anyway.” I looked a starling dead in the eye. It was still chattering. “Now, do you remember exactly what we humans did to the Passenger Pigeons?”

The starlings went quiet.

“That’s right. Now, If you’re going to have a war between you and other birds, don’t be so almighty stupid as to interfere with human affairs. And I declare my friendship with Blanche to be a human affair. You get it? If this whole mess doesn’t stop right now I’m bringing out the shotgun.”

A starling peeped.

“Was that a “yes mistress?”

Peep.

“The starlings say they don’t believe you about the ten thousand,” said Blanche, “but that they will attempt to limit their interference in human affairs.”

“You did NOT get that much information from two peeps,” I said. “What did they actually say?”

“They said ‘fine whatever’. I’m just extrapolating.”

“I’ve had quite enough of this bus,” said Barb, and pulled the cord to request a stop.

“As have I,” said Cuthberta.

“I’m hungry,” said Earl S. Andwich. “Thanks a lot.”

“There’s poop all over my hat,” said Cornelius.

“Everyone’s getting off at the next stop anyway,” said Shandra. “This bus is a mess.”

The stained, heavily-scratched bus came to a stop, and out poured a hundred weary, shivering commuters. Including one with a crow perched on her shoulder, and ten holding starlings. They let the starlings go, and the little birds flew up and away towards some distant trees.

“Why did you want to know everyrone’s names on the bus?” I said to Blanche.

“It’s a lark,” said Blanche.

“I thought it was a crow.”

“It’s a thing I like to think crows do,” said Blanche. “Help people while being annoying. How many names did you learn today that you didn’t know? Did you get anyone’s number?”

“I got Cuthberta’s number. And Barb’s.”

“Well, that’s something. You got yourself into a bit of a mess, though, you know. Making a threat like that. Now you have to carry it out. Do you even have a shotgun?”

“No.”

“I suppose I could get one for you. But even if you force a truce, you’re not going to stop the resentment. On either side. It will just linger until you’re gone.”

“Until who’s gone? Me?”

“All of your kind. Mine will still be here, though. And theirs.”

In the distance, the trees rustled, and twenty thousand starlings rose into the air. As one, they turned and flew south and away.