So let's discuss the film characters Charlie Bucket circa 1971 vs Charlie Bucket circa 2005. I'd add the original book Charlie here too, but it's been 30+ years since I read the book.

I believe the Charlie '05 (C05 from here on) is more worthy of the Chocolate Factory that Charlie '71 (C71). C71 tries to demonstrate a moral superiority to the other golden ticket winners, simply because he is poor and it was only luck that won him the ticket. If you really think about it, Veruca Salt was actually the only one whose excess wealth played a role in obtaining a golden ticket. There is no mention of wealth for either Augustus Gloop or Violet Beauregarde. Mike Teavee has a wretched attitude - but that does not negate the fact that he is brilliant and legitimately used math to obtain his ticket. Charlie and his family may be well below the poverty line, but his chances - and he did have at least three chances - were about the same as the rest. This is pretty consistent for both C71 and C05

Once in the factory, things change. All the rest of the children and their respective guardians are portrayed as awful people. Spoiled, bratty, entitled, etc - this is consistent between both films. However - this is also where the Charlies divide - and Grandpa Joe is no better. The four antagonists meet their various fates living up to their perceived reputation. C71 is no better! The only different? He and Grandpa Joe did not get caught. The whole group was told not to try the Fizzy Lifting Drink, and when the rest of the crowd moved on, C71 and G-Joe tried it anyways. It was only dumb luck they did not end up shredded in the fan. What is more, they also somehow managed to find the group again, unnoticed (seemingly). At the end, Willy Wonka calls them out on it - but we are still supposed to sympathize with C71 for being morally elite.

C05. however, is a different story. His luck (or lack there of) in life is significantly more believable. He really is a good kid. You see this repeatedly through the film. When in the edible garden, he goes for a candy apple - but still, an apple. When offered a taste of the river, he takes the smallest sip instead of gorging himself. When he tastes the candy bar in the teleporting room, he takes a small bite - then LEAVES THE REST OF THE BAR when leaving. It makes complete sense that he is the last kid standing, he's the only one who respected Willie Wonka and is truly taken by the wonderful absurdity of it all. When he chooses family over the factory, you believe it. C05 has demonstrated this moral character through the whole film. He is sincere and genuine. Grandpa Joe is too.

In conclusion, this is one argument for the superiority of the 2005 Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory versus the 1971 film.