This document is not current, and is kept only for archival purposes. Please refer to Everything2 Help for all up-do-date help documents.




"My node Blah blah blah needs to go. It is a mistake node, since it is improperly formatted and ugly, and I have more info I want to add. I just want to re-node it because it has potential and it's a good node. If I just fixed it, no one would see that I did all that work to make it better. Thank you." --newbie noder

I ran into a nuke request similar to the above quote. I had already nuked the requested node after talking to another (long-time) editor/god. After chatting about it, I nuked with a 5xp penalty. Killing a node so it can be done correctly, then having it re-appear in the New Writeups nodelet so it can get (hopefully) upvoted is not something the E2 "workers" want to do, for several reasons:

  • It creates extra work for the Content Editors and Gods. We have a hard enough time keeping up with the trolls and digging out the older sub-par nodes. Remember two things: we do this on a voluntary basis and we do this because we actually give a shite about the database.
  • It creates a bad precedent. The whole point to hitting the sumbit button is saying to yourself that it is done to the best of your abilities. If it is posted with a bunch of errors or not formatted properly (as in the above case), one must take responsibility for that work. If it is sitting at -7, quite frankly you have fsked up by posting it before it was ready. Note that this is not directed at the original person who requested the above as a personal attack, but to the membership in general.
  • If this became an accepted practice, then some folks would take advantage of the system, asking for kills of their best work so it could be re-posted. In any society, even digital ones like E2, there are folks looking for the shortcuts and loopholes. Earn Your Bullshit applies at this level.
  • Since this is the first time I ran into this situation, I had to think of what should be done. Luckily there are some helpful and wise individuals in the God and Content Editor roles. I decided in this one instance that I would comply with the request with the aforementioned penalty. I think that it won't be repeated, however.

Additionally, it is considered bad form to post an E2 Nuke Request for somebody else's work. You can always /msg one of the online editors (as shown by the $ next to a user name in the Other Users Nodelet). E2 Nuke Request is intended to be a way to permanently remove your sub-par work or mistakes. Remember, E2 Nuke Request is not a -xp toilet! It is for the occasional error in judgement. I have a couple of goof-ups of my own sitting in my Node Heaven, there to remind me to node for the ages. If you find yourself using it daily, you have a problem. Think before hitting the submit button. If you have a doubt, post it on your homenode and ask the opinion of your local Editor or God.

Note that the administration has now decided to remove the 5xp penalty. Usually the rank-and-file folks would have downvoted a writeup beyond recognition before the editors find the corpse. The editors now just clean up the remains and let the membership decide the XP penalty.

Normally, if you have a doubt, there is no doubt.

Rancid_Pickle


See also:

Nuke Requests aren't an alternative to node maintenance