Airmail rate was a rate that the United States Postal Service had between 1918 and 1979. The history of all airmail rates is somewhat difficult to ascertain, because for many years, foreign airmail rates were based on complicated formulas based on country of destination and weight. However, domestic airmail rates were more straightforward, and between 1927 and 1975, they had a clear and separate airmail rate for all domestic mail. Airmail rates were discontinued in 1975, because at that point, air travel had matured to the point where all domestic mail became air mail, if needed. Since 1975, all first class mail is sent by the fastest means possible, which usually means by air between distant cities.

This also effects how we calculate the inflation of postal prices. In 1963, for example, a first class letter cost 5 cents to send, or 47 cents, adjusted for inflation, which is less than what this would cost today. However, this was a surface rate stamp, and domestic airmail at the time would have been 76 cents, more expensive than it is currently.

Also, it was surprisingly difficult for me to track down this information, and the post office itself doesn't seem to have a record of airmail rates. My best source comes from a philately organization.



http://dallasstamps.org/documents/rates/fcletters.pdf

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.