Okay, first I have to admit that I didn't quite know that a trend was a trend, because apparently placing fantastic characters in a "high school" setting is now a popular thing, and not just the province of merchandise I find at the Dollar Tree. But I didn't find this at The Dollar Tree: I found it at a library bookstore, and despite the fact that I had designated this week "Catch Up On My Reading Week", I ended up acquiring more books because, hey, at least I was supporting a library. Besides I think they gave me this one to free.

Anyway, this was published in 2017, and has the concept that several superheros go to high school together. Yes, this all makes no sense for people who have spent decades studying DC Universe continuity. This is all fun. Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Poison Ivy, Supergirl and Harley Quinn are all galpals hanging out and learning the true meaning of friendship. Also, Beast Boy is their goofy gay bestfriend, although that is obviously not directly stated as such. They all go on a field trip to the past, in a school bus a la The Magic Schoolbus, where a mishap sends them into battle with dinosaurs. Harley Quinn steals a pteradactyl egg and brings it to the future. As we know (and I assume the author knows as well) from the Ray Bradbury story A Sound of Thunder, interfering with dinosaurs is a good way to bring a fascist dictator to power in the present, and when our super hero girls return to the present, Vandal Savage is now the principle of Super Hero High. Our Super Hero galpals must set history back to its normal course. In doing so, the story demonstrates big parts of the DC Universe as reimagined for this setting, which did amuse me. Then Batgirl and Harley Quinn have to admit that their rivalries and jealousies are what led them to this disaster. And then everything turns out okay.

As I was a few days ago by a mainstream continuity comic featuring Harley Quinn, I am a little unclear about how Harley Quinn, who came to be famous as the enabler of a sadistic sociopath, now seems to be the DC Universe's go-to character for being a lovable klutz who is a role model for softcore imperfection. While the other characters have predictable, often humorous personalities, the main drama is between the straight-laced Batgirl and the impulsive Harley. Which is okay, and a good enough message, and I was amused enough by this on a long bus ride home, but I still wonder at the basic premise that a conscienceless character has been softened down to "impulsive and imperfect".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.