"Follow This Thread" is a book by Henry Eliot, and illustrated by French artist Quibe. The book is subtitled "A Maze Book To Get Lost In", and it is a book about mazes and labyrinthes, with its central story being an exploration of the legend of Theseus and the Minotaur. The book is presumably non-fiction, although this wasn't explicitly stated anywhere I could see. I wasn't really sure of that part until the end, and even now I am not sure. Also, and this is the interesting part: the book is designed as a sort of maze itself. The text reorients itself every few pages, sometimes upside down, and sometimes with the right page as the top, and the left page as the bottom. So the reader has to flip and turn the book around as they read it. Which can be difficult, but that is the point, right? Also, every page in the book is decorated by a single red line, which swoops around and forms pictures and mazes. This is the part that Quibe did. The red line continues from page to page. It is the "thread" that the reader is supposed to follow. Which ties together a book that goes to retelling fables, to philosophical speculation, to biographies of contemporary maze designers that I assume are real people. Whether this is distracting or not is up to the reader to decide. To show that I am thinking critically and that I am smart, I was going to say that this book seems to present no central thesis, but first, it does have a central Theseus, and second, that is kind of the point. Would recommend, if you find it somewhere cheap.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.