"Get the Led Out" is the name of a promotion that was normal on classic rock radio stations when I was young, and that might still be used. "Get the Led Out" was when a classic rock station would play a solid block of songs by Led Zeppelin at the same time every night.

The oddity of this being a special event is that Led Zeppelin were played regularly and frequently on classic rock stations, probably being the most played band on most classic rock. In addition, Led Zeppelin's albums sold very well, and were widely available. The average classic rock fan listening to classic rock radio would probably have already heard a dozen Led Zeppelin songs already, and if that wasn't enough, they probably had their entire ouevre on CD, cassette, vinyl or maybe 8 track. The only thing a "Get the Led Out" event could really do would be to play the few songs too cumbersome to play during the normal rotation (such as the live version of "Moby Dick" from The Song Remains the Same.

And yet, back in those halcyon days of the early 1990s and classic rock radio, I would tune in every day at 7 PM for the experience of celebrating the legacy of Led Zeppelin, despite the fact that I had probably listened to at least one album all the way through on cassette tape.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.