A hunting chair is a precursor to the modern recliner; it was a well padded armchair with an extendable 'slide out frame' to act as a footrest. The earliest reference I can find to this form of chair is in 1803, and it appears to have remained in use as a recognizable term at least until the 1950s.

"Arm-chair #3 is termed a hunting chair. These are stuffed all over, except the legs, which are of mahogany. The slide out frame in the front, when it is brought out to the full length, is intended to support the loose back cushion, which brings it even with the seat of the chair, and forms a temporary resting place for one that is fatigued, as hunters generally are. These chairs are sometimes made without the sliding front, on which account they are made larger by a few inches every way."
-- Thomas Sheraton, 18031

Unfortunately, the illustration included shows the chair frame without any upholstery,2, so it is not clear how the "loose back cushion" works. I suspect that it is simply a separate cushion that can be used behind your back or on the footstool, as required.

In the 1803 source "hunting chair" already appears to be a standard term, and the lack of appearances in published works is probably more a reflection of society's preference for fauteuils and other fancy and foppish furniture in popular works of fiction rather than the comparatively utilitarian furnishings of rich gentlemen's hunting lodges.

Today a Google search for a 'hunting chair' will find mostly chairs suitable for taking out into the woods, mostly folding chairs that I would consider high-end camp chairs, although there is also a chair that looks something like an Adirondack chair frame but with a simple stretched-leather seat and back, no padding, that looks something like a heavy-duty beach chair made for Fred Flintstone. As best as I can find, this last chair is not intended for hunters, it's just designed to look cool in a particularly rustic fashion.


Footnotes:
1. The cabinet dictionary, by Thomas Sheraton, 1803.
2. You can see the illustration best here; you will have to flip to page 20 manually.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.