Totodile, the Big Jaw Pokemon

Totodile (Japanese: ワニノコ, translit. Waninoko) is one of the Johto Pokemon starters, along with Cyndaquil and Chikorita. It was first introduced in Pokemon Gold & Silver, with a national Pokedex number of #158. Totodile is a water-type, and when leveled up to at least level 18, it evolves into Croconaw, which evolves into Feraligatr starting level 30.

Totodile is bipedal, and is very similar to a crocodile (hence the name). It has a blue body with a yellow v-shaped marking on its chest extending to its arms. On its back is a row of three red spines, and a red spine can also be found on its tail. It has red eyes and black markings around it. Totodile are known to be very joyful and playful, but the trainer who owns one should be very careful. Don't let this reptile bite you, it will hurt a lot. Its jaws can crush anything.

If I don't choose Cyndaquil in my Johto adventure, I would choose Totodile. It has a pretty OP move at level 8: Rage. After using Rage, every hit your opponent would do to you will increase your power in the next use of Rage. Some speedrunners of the glitchless category know that this can save time early in the game, so they choose Totodile instead of Cyndaquil. And never will Chikorita be chosen. Who the heck in the right mind would choose that for a speedrun? (Poor Chikorita)

As with all new Pokemon introduced in Generation II, they will reappear in every future Pokemon game, like Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire. It is also one of the starters and partners for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I heard Totodile is a good choice in Red Rescue Team, though Mudkip and Squirtle are better for a water type.

The name "Totodile" comes from tot (child) and crocodile combined. Very fitting, since Totodile is the first evolutionary stage of the family, and is known for being childish. The Japanese name Waninoko on the other hand can mean 鰐の子 (wani no ko, or child of a crocodile/alligator).

Here is its Pokedex entries from Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold, and SoulSilver:

Its well-developed jaws are powerful and capable of crushing anything. Even its trainer must be careful. (Gold & HeartGold)
It is small but rough and tough. It won't hesitate to take a bite out of anything that moves. (Silver & SoulSilver)
This rough critter chomps at any moving object it sees. Turning your back on it is not recommended. (Crystal)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.