Wallowa is a county located in the far northeast corner of Oregon, next to the borders with Washington and Idaho. It has an area of around 3100 square miles, making it about three times the size of Rhode Island, or slightly smaller than Connecticut. It has a population of around 7500 people, most of whom are concentrated in the county seat, Enterprise, or the adjoining towns of Wallowa and Joseph.

Wallowa County is different from other parts of Eastern Oregon in some ways. While most of Eastern Oregon is an arid region, Wallowa County, located in the Blue Mountains, has a wetter climate. Wallowa County is also perhaps more isolated than other counties in Eastern Oregon: despite not being the least densely populated, it is also away from major transportation routes. Indeed, Wallowa County is the only county in Oregon with no part of the federal Highway or Freeway system in it. To the east, the deep Snake River Canyon separated it from Idaho. To the north, while the Grande Ronde River is not the border between Oregon and Washington, it does present an obstacle to travel between them. For these reasons, Wallowa County is perhaps the most isolated part of Oregon.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.