Cmus is a music player, much like Apple's iTunes and Windows' Groove (or Musicbee if you're a person with good taste). What sets Camus apart though is that, much like Vim, it lives and runs entirely within the terminal.

I discovered Cmus while looking for music players that weren't shit, and I'm impressed with it. Despite the fact that it runs in the terminal, it's surprisingly intuitive and transparent. I was able to master it in minutes.

In order to load your music library, you must do ":a path_to_library". From there, it will import artists, albums, and songs.

Surprisingly, I can navigate to view either by artist, album, or track, as opposed to having all my files listed in some clusterfuck-metalist.

The commands are as follows:

"c" - pause the playback
"v" - stops the playback
"x" - restarts the playback
"b" - next track queued
"z" - previous track
"s" - toggles shuffle of all songs
"+" and "-" - increases and decreases the volume
Arrow keys skip forward and backward within the song.

All in all, I'm pleased with it for the short while I've been using it. I listen to most of my music locally and don't stream (I'm an old geezer in that I think streaming services are a temporary fad).

It can be downloaded here. However, you have to do this first before installing it.


// Brevity Quest 2022

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.