If you see these poorly-named, bastardized Sony PlayStation accessories, no matter what the temptation, do not purchase one! They will be advertised to store an ungodly number of pages (sets of 15 slots), say 25. You would think to yourself, "Wow, self, this is great! I'll never be able to use up all those pages!"

Well, guess what? You'll never get a chance to use up all those pages! These things are cheap and rely on something nondeterministic -- data compression -- to store as much as it portends to. Not only that, but the compression estimate is incorrect, and you'll never get nearly the amount of storage specified.

When you go to switch pages on these devices, you may notice it takes a long time; this is because the current page is being compressed and stored and then the page you are switching to is being uncompressed. This is prone to failure because if the memory card is full, you will not be able to switch pages. The only solutions then would be (1) to delete slots on the current page, or, that probably being a bad thing, (2) get another memory card to swap things with. Either way, it's a tremendous pain in the arse.

A clearly poorly-thought out design for a subpar product; just buy regular, one-page memory cards. They won't fail like the "super" ones do and really, the price is not worse for the amount of storage you get.

Another problem with these memory cards is that, I guess with the uncompression and compression and all that attempted wholesome goodness, these cards tend to sometimes 'lose' your saved games. I guess it has something to do with the technical process, the likes of which I wouldn't be able to explain.

I am however, confident in this assertion, because I've had a number of friends who've used these cards and lost 40+ hours out of their roleplaying games. It's not cool, but I laugh at them anyway. I don't trust brand x when it comes to video games. I guess I always just trusted the company too much to think that someone would produce a 'better' memory card than the company would. I mean, certainly, if Sony trusted the technology involved in these cards, wouldn't they make some themselves in order to better clean up the market?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.