This is a recipe from PiHKAL. If you're interested in how the hardlinks were chosen, read noding PiHKAL for Everything2.


#86 G-N

1,4-DIMETHOXYNAPHTHYL-2-ISOPROPYLAMINE


SYNTHESIS: To a solution of 3.9 g 1,4-dimethoxy-2-naphthaldehyde (see under 2C-G-N for the preparation) in 13.5 mL nitroethane there was added 0.7 g anhydrous ammonium acetate, and the mixture heated on the steam bath for 5 h. The deep orange reaction mixture was stripped of excess solvent under vacuum. The residue was a red oil that, upon dilution with two volumes MeOH, immediately set to orange crystals. This crude product (mp 115-118 °C) was recrystallized from 70 mL EtOH to yield, after filtering and air drying, 3.3 g of 1-(1,4-dimethoxy-2-naphthyl)-2-nitropropene as gold-orange crystals, with a mp of 121-123 °C. Recrystallization from MeOH gave a gold-colored product with a mp of 119-120 °C. Anal. (C15H15NO4) C,H,N.

A solution of LAH (50 mL of 1 M solution in THF) was cooled, under He, to 0 °C with an external ice-bath. With good stirring there was added 1.32 mL 100% H2SO4 dropwise, to minimize charring. This was followed by the addition of 3.12 g 1-(1,4-dimethoxy-2-naphthyl)-2-nitropropene in 40 mL anhydrous THF. After stirring for 1 h, the temperature was brought up to a gentle reflux on the steam bath for 0.5 h, and then all was cooled again to 0 °C. The excess hydride was destroyed by the cautious addition of 16 mL IPA followed by 6 mL 5% NaOH to give a white, filterable, granular character to the oxides, and to assure that the reaction mixture was basic. The reaction mixture was filtered, and the filter cake washed with additional THF. The combined filtrate and washes were stripped of solvent under vacuum providing 3.17 g of a deep amber oil. Without any further purification, this was distilled at 140-160 °C at 0.3 mm/Hg to give 1.25 g of a pale yellow oil. This was dissolved in 8 mL IPA, neutralized with 20 drops of concentrated HCl, and diluted with 60 mL anhydrous Et2O which was the point at which the solution became slightly turbid. After a few min, fine white crystals began to form, and these were eventually removed, washed with Et2O, and air dried to provide 1.28 g 1,4-dimethoxynaphthyl-2-isopropylamine hydrochloride (G-N) as the monohydrate salt. The mp was 205-206 °C. Even after 24 h drying at 100 °C under vacuum, the hydrate salt remained intact. Anal. (C15H20ClNO2aH2O) C,H.

DOSAGE: unknown.

DURATION: unknown,

EXTENTIONS AND COMMENTARY: The evaluation of this compound is not yet complete. An initial trial at the 2 milligram level showed neither central action, nor toxicity. It could be guessed from the activity of the two-carbon counterpart, that an active level will be found in the tens of milligrams area. But, as of the moment, this level is not known to anyone, anywhere, because no one has yet defined it. And when the potency is finally found out, the nature of the activity will also have been found out, all the result of a magical interaction of a virgin compound with a virgin psyche. At the immediate moment, the nature of G-N is not only unknown, it has not yet even been sculpted. There can be no more exciting area of research than this, anywhere in the sentient world.


Back to PiHKAL?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.