This is:         Olympics 1994 - Lillehammer
Go to:           Olympic Summer Games   Olympic Winter Games   Ancient Olympic Games
                 Previous Games   Next Games 

Olympics 1994 - Lillehammer, Norway, February 12 - 27
No. of countries: 66
No. of athletes: 1738 (1216 m + 522 w)
No. of events: 61 in 10 sports

First Olympic winter games held on the "middle" years, only two years after the previous games. Marketed as the first green games, from an environmental standpoint. Another term that was used more often by visitors and media was "traffic chaos", since the public transport systems on the small mountain roads had troubles keeping up with the amount of people.  

On the venues, Norway did terribly well in most events and it was a great display in nationalism in sports otherwise only seen in the United States. The famous Jamaican bobsled was disqualified, since the sled and the crew were too heavy. The games also included the soap opera with Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding. The gold in figure skating went to 16 year old Oksana Baiul of Ukraine, however. Home favorite Johan Olav Koss won 3 individual gold medals in speed skating. After a dramatic penalty shoot-out, where Peter Forsberg scored the game winner, Sweden won the ice hockey tournament.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.