If you've read my rather negative review of the 1997 Geyser Peak Merlot, you may be surprised to find that I purchased another variety from the same Sonoma winery. I was a little surprised myself, but this particular wine had received good reviews from Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast magazines, and it was on sale for $20. I needed a good Cabernet to go with the beef stew I was making, so I made the pick.

I loved this wine. One of the reasons I tend to stay away from Cabernets is that the young ones (i.e., the ones that I can afford) are too often very heavy and tannic. But this Geyser Peak wine was very well crafted, with complex tastes and a light tannin structure that lent it some real character without overwhelming the flavors. The wine is a deep purple-red and offers intriguing smoky aromas. In terms of taste, the wine is an excellent balance of oak and spice, leaving a pleasant tang on your tongue and a lingering finish in your mouth.

This is an excellent wine for the price (I believe it originally retailed at about $40 nearer the beginning of 2000), and I will definitely buy a couple of bottles for my meager cellar. But don't get me wrong--this is a great wine to drink now. (However, as it is relatively high in alcohol, I strongly recommend chilling it to at least 60 degrees.) Hail to Geyser Peak!

PS: As to the difference in quality between this and the Merlot mentioned above: I recently read an article which suggested that there is a marked difference in Sonoma grape quality as you move from the better vineyards at higher elevations down to the valley floors.

Back to Rook's Wine Reviews

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.