My wife and I just got back from a little mini-vacation, and during the course of this trip we ate at several nice restaurants. I thought this would be nice, as it would give me an opportunity to try several new varieties of wine. I was right, but still disappointed. I had a crappy Chianti Classico, a watery Sangiovese, a pointless Merlot, and a Sauvignon Blanc served ice cold so as to blunt all its flavors. I will not even bother to review these loser wines.

The one relatively bright spot was this wine, which I ordered as a curiosity: it is found to a limited degree in many Rhône wines, and as I've recently focused on this category, it seemed the natural choice. It was a very dark red, densely colored and impervious to the ambient light. It offered a hint of cherry in the aroma and a kind of sweet, spicy flavor that I found quite reminiscent of port. It finished with a bit of acid and some tannins which were a little much for this otherwise medium bodied red wine.

I've since checked it out, and it seems that Jade Mountain specializes in Rhône-style wines, with varietals including Syrah and Viognier. I may try another of their wines as another curiosity, but I was not floored by this wine, and any future tasting would have to offer value.

Back to Rook's Wine Reviews

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.