Yes, that is the full name of the wine. Beringer makes about 10,000 kinds of wine, so I guess it's necessary, even if highly confusing...but names like this make the appellation systems of France and Italy seem simplistic by comparison.

Anyway, on to the wine: I bought this (along with a Dolcetto that I managed to break in the driveway on the way to my parents' house {Vietti 1998--if I buy another, I'll let you know}) to accompany my monther's holiday meal of ham. It was a tough choice about what to bring: I settled on bringing a light-bodied red wine and a full-bodied white wine. It seems, however, that I broke the wrong bottle in the driveway.

It was a good wine, I guess, but there was a lot going on with its flavor and aroma that seemed to cause conflict. For example, it had a strong oakiness about it (common with California chardonnays), but also substantial fruitiness--lots of pear and apple. Either of these alone might have made for a better wine, but together it seemed a muddle. But then again, white wine really isn't my bag, baby. I paid about $15 for the bottle, and while it was clearly the kind of complex wine I was looking for, the various levels of taste and smell never really got together.

Back to Rook's Wine Reviews

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.