A weekly sci-fi & fantasy comic from the UK.

Originally launched in 1977, 2000 AD has been on newsagents shelves nearly every week for the past 23 years, and is currently on issue 1225 (or Programme 1225 in 2000 AD-speak).
Although conceived as a pure science-fiction comic, the mid-80s saw a shift in feel, with more traditional fantasy themes & characters introduced. This balance of classic adventure & more innovative, daring work has undoubtedly contributed greatly to the continued success of the comic.

Many of the current pantheon of UK & US comic authors & artists first appeared in, or spent their early years working for 2000 AD. Over the years, writers like Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis, Neil Gaiman & Alan Moore (The Invisibles, Preacher, The Sandman & Watchmen respectively) have lent their talents to the comic, before going onto success as authors in their own right.

Although 2000 AD has produced hundreds of different characters & tales over the past two decades, one character alone stands above the rest - Judge Dredd.
First appearing in Prog 2, Dredd has been an almost weekly feature ever since, and even 23 years old, still holds as one of the best the British comics scene has ever produced.

For anyone interested in finding out more about the magazine, the best starting place would be one of the many collected editions of Dredd's adventures currently in publication.


Further reading...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.