= 2001 = 2002 = 2003 = 2004 = 2006 = 2007 = 2008 = 2009 = 2010 = 2011= 2012 = 2014 = 2015 = 2016 = 2017 = 2018 = 2019 = 2020 =

Round One - Conference Quarterfinals

Western Conference

#1 Detroit Red Wings vs. #8 Edmonton Oilers

Well, well, well. It looks like that contract the Red Wings signed with the Devil ten years ago is still good. Despite major league changes, despite the newly-imposed salary cap, despite being without Scotty Bowman, the Wings lucked out yet again. Their backup-turned-number-one goalie played stellar, they got to keep their core group of talent somehow, and they ended up with the President's Trophy and the #1 seed in the West... again. Will Edmonton have a chance in Detroit Hell and slip in an oil puddle, or would Chris Pronger and his slick squad pull off an impossible upset?

GAME ONE: EDMONTON 3 at DETROIT 4(2OT) -April 21
Most of the power was in the power play in this tilt to open the series. Robert Lang (DET) and Sergei Samsonov (EDM) exchanged power play tallies in the first, and Chris Pronger notched one in the second. Kirk Maltby tied it up for Detroit in the third. A while later, 2:39 into the second overtime, Maltby - who only scored 5 goals in the regular season - struck again and Detroit held off the tenacious Oilers to win Game One.

GAME TWO: EDMONTON 4 at DETROIT 2 -April 23
Not so fast, Red Wings! Brad Winchester and Fernando Pisani (who??) scored less than a minute apart late in the second to rally the Oilers to a 4-2 win and even up the series. Chris Pronger scored first and Jarret Stoll also tallied for Edmonton. Detroit's Williams tied it 1-1 and Henrik Zetterberg had put the Red Wings ahead 2-1.

GAME THREE: DETROIT 3 at EDMONTON 4(2OT) -April 25
Jarrett Stoll scored at 8:44 into the second overtime to win his eighth-seeded Oilers the game 4-3 and put them up 2-1 in the series. The top-seeded Red Wings probably didn't see that one coming, especially since they thought they'd won the game about 15 minutes into the first overtime. Jason Williams thought he put one in but the video replay showed it slid under the side of the goal. Jaroslav Spacek, Ryan Smyth and Raffi Torres also tallied for Edmonton. Detroit got two from Henrik Zetterberg and one from Mathieu Schneider that had tied up the game and sent it to OT.

GAME FOUR: DETROIT 4 at EDMONTON 2 -April 27
The Red Wings avoid an embarrassing 3-1 series trail to the last-seeded Oilers and even up the series. Three power play goals - including Nicklas Lidstrom's game-winning 5-on-3 goal in the third - got 'em there. Tomas Holmstrom and Henrik Zetterberg had the other two. Robert Lang - who also had two assists - had the other Red Wing tally. Edmonton had a pair of power play goals themselves - Fernando Pisani (the 1st goal of the game) and Jaroslav Spacek.

GAME FIVE: EDMONTON 3 at DETROIT 2 -April 29
The Oilers take the series lead once again with an explosion of offense in the second period: 3 goals in about a seven-minute span. Fernando Pisano, Ryan Smyth, and Sean Horcoff put the Oilers up 3-0 - all three goals assisted by Chris Pronger. Brendan Shanahan answered back in that period followed by a last-minute tally in the third by Henrik Zetterberg, but they could not tie it up. The President's Trophy winners find themselves on the brink.

GAME SIX: DETROIT 3 at EDMONTON 4 - May 1
Steve Yzerman's return to Detroit's lineup was not enough to spur them to send the series to Game Seven. The Curse of the President's Trophy hits the Red Wings hard as they fall 4-3 to the eighth-seeded Oilers in Game Six and fall to them in the series 4-2. Henrik Zetterberg and Robert Lang had gotten them a 2-0 lead but the Oilers exploded in the third where they scored all four of their goals - Fernando Pisani twice and then Ales Hemsky twice. Johan Franzen scored in between for Detroit to briefly regain the lead but they couldn't tie it up. They go to clean out their lockers and Edmonton advances!
This was Steve Yzerman's final NHL game as he retired in the offseason.

Oilers win series 4 games to 2.

#2 Dallas Stars vs. #7 Colorado Avalanche

A reversal of 2004, this time Colorado find themselves looking up at Dallas after barely making the playoffs, a far cry from the Cup-winning Roy days. Dallas was looking for revenge after their embarassing performance last time these two teams met in the post season.

GAME ONE: COLORADO 5 at DALLAS 3 -April 22
Dallas Stars coach Dave Tippett likened watching the game tape to "watching a horror movie." The Stars had gone up 2-0 on goals by Brenden Morrow and Bill Guerin but Colorado's Milan Hejduk, Wojtek Wolski, Rob Blake, John-Michael Liles, and Brett Clark buried Dallas in Game One.

GAME TWO: COLORADO 5 at DALLAS 4(OT) -April 24
Dallas' woes continue. Joe Sakic scored his NHL playoff-record seventh overtime goal at 4:36 of OT to give his Avalanche team a 5-4 win and a 2-0 series lead - and they haven't even played at home yet. In the second, Jere Lehtinen - with a pair of goals 1:04 apart, rookie Jussi Jokinen, and Mike Madano with seconds left in the period had erased a Colorado 3-0 lead on goals from Rob Blake, Andrew Brunette and Milan Hejduk (that's pronounced "Hey-Duke" by the way). A shorthanded tally by Colorado's Brett Clark with 2 minutes and change left in the third tied it up.

GAME THREE: DALLAS 3 at COLORADO 4(OT) -April 26
The Stars have quite a mountain to climb after Colorado's Alex Tanguay puts them on the brink 1:09 into the first overtime in Game Three, his second goal of the night. For the second time the Avs score late in the third to tie it, this time an Andrew Brunette power play goal with less than a minute to go in regulation. Joe Sakic also tallied for the Avs, the first goal of the game. Stu Barnes (short handed), Jon Klemm, and Sergei Zubov scored for the Stars.

GAME FOUR: DALLAS 4 at COLORADO 1 -April 28
Desperation served the Stars well in this tilt. Marty Turco, winning just the second time in nine playoff games against the Avalanche, did something crazy: came out of the net to play the puck and collided with Alex Tanguay. Dallas came out of the ensuing scramble clean (Willie Mitchell had to play goal for a second). This fired up Dallas to a 4-1 win on that crazy play, Niklas Hagman's first two post season golas, and goals by Jeri Lehtinen and Bill Guerin. Colorado's lone tally was the first goal of the game (Brad Richardson's first career playoff goal). Dallas lives to play another game!

GAME FIVE: COLORADO 3 at DALLAS 2(OT) -April 30
Colorado's Andrew Brunette roofed a backhander over a sprawling Marty Turco at 13:55 of overtime to win the game and the series for the Avalanche and put Dallas out of their misery. Dallas had put on a lot of pressure in overtime, but still fell short. In regulation, in the second, Dallas' Jokinen scored first, followed by two from Colorado - Jim Dowd and Joe Sakic - who also assisted in the game winner. Bill Guerin tied it up for Dallas and sent it to OT.

Avalanche win series 4 games to 1.

#3 Calgary Flames vs. #6 Disneyland Ducks*

After very nearly winning the Cup in 2004 the Flames were looking to do some more burning and some Duck Flambé looked like the perfect recipe for that.

GAME ONE: DISNEYLAND 1 at CALGARY 2 (OT)-April 21
Darren McCarty scored 9:45 into the extra period to give the Flames a 2-1 Game One win and a 1-0 series lead. He shot down the ducks by skating freely into his offensive zone and one-timing a pass from Kristian Huselius past goalie Ilya Bryzgalov. Disneyland's #1 goaltender, the hero of the 2003 playoffs, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, had suffered a lower-body injury in the morning's practice. Tony Amonte had made it 1-0 for the Flames in the second and Jeff Friesen tied it up in the third for the Ducks by batting one out of the air and into the net.

GAME TWO: DISNEYLAND 4 at CALGARY 3 -April 23
Jean-Sebastien Giguere, in his 22-save return to the lineup, bolstered his ducklings to a 4-3 win and a series tie. Sami Pahlsson, Chris Kunitz, Joffrey Lupul and defenseman Scott Niedermayer scored for Anaheim. Niedermayer's goal was a breakaway shorthanded tally that had given them a 2-0 lead, a very rare feat for somebody playing D! Calgary got goals from Jarome Iginla, Kristian Huselius and Dion Phaneuf.

GAME THREE: CALGARY 5 at DISNEYLAND 2 -April 25
The power play was very powerful for the Flames in this tilt. Daymond Langkow (power play), Kristian Huselius (power play), Chuck Kobasew, Darren McCarty (power play) and then Robyn Regehr scored Calgary's goals, sending them to a 5-2 win and 2-1 series lead. Disneyland's two goals came from defenseman Francois Beauchemin, becoming the first Ducks rookie to score two goals in a playoff game. The great J.S. Giguere was lackluster, giving up those 5 goals on only 24 shots.

GAME FOUR: CALGARY 2 at DISNEYLAND 3(OT) -April 27
Defenseman Sean O'Donnell won the game and evened up the series for his Ducks 1:36 into the extra period. The Ducks had stoked themselves to a 2-0 lead on goals by Ryan Getzlaf and Teemu Selanne but Jarome Iginla burst into Flames in the third scoring two to tie it up.

GAME FIVE: DISNEYLAND 2 at CALGARY 3 -April 29
Jarome Iginla scored a deuce on Calgary's way to a 3-2 victory and 3-2 series lead. Calgary's had Tony Amonte opened up the scoring in the first. They almost blew the 3-0 lead by allowing a pair of power play goals in the third, one by Andy McDonald at 8:19 and another from Rob Niedermayer with only 33 seconds left.

GAME SIX: CALGARY 1 at DISNEYLAND 2 -May 1
This time it's the other Niedermayer defenseman, Scott, who scores for the Ducks, but this time it's a game-winner. The Ducks' second goal of the night propels them to a 2-1 win and they force a Game Seven against the Flames. Ilya Bryzgalov, who found out right before the game he was getting the nod instead of Giguere, snuffed 21 shots, only allowing Stephane Yelle's first-period goal. Teemu Selanne scored Disneyland's other goal.

GAME SEVEN: DISNEYLAND 3 at CALGARY 0 -May 3
Looks like 2006 is the year of the Underdogs in the West! Teemu Selanne and Ruslan Salei scored, Ilya Bryzgalov stopped 22 shots and the Mighty Ducks eliminated the defending West champion Flames in Game Seven. This eliminated the Flames and the last of the top-four seeded teams in the Western Conference. #3-seeded Calgary joins the #2-seeded Dallas, #4-seeded Nashville, and #1-seeded Detroit in cleaning out their lockers! Onto Round Two!

Ducks win series 4 games to 3.

#4 Nashville Predators vs. #5 San Jose Sharks

After a roaring start to the season and making the playoffs for only the second time in their history, the Preds found themselves on the better half of the playoff ladder with home ice advantage and they looked to make the most of it against the formidable and sharp-toothed Sharks.

GAME ONE: SAN JOSE 3 at NASHVILLE 4 -April 21
It looks like signing Paul Kariya was a good idea for the Predators. All of their goals were power play goals and all were assisted by little PK. Adam Hall had the game-winner and Mike Sillinger scored and had an assist, and Martin Erat and rookie defenseman Shea Weber both scored their first career playoff goals as Nashville takes a 1-0 series lead. The Sharks got goals from Mark Smith, Nils Ekman, and Scott Thornton, but playoff-debut goalie Chris Mason got the win as the Predators' #1 Tomas Vokoun - an original Predator - was out for the season with a blood condition.

GAME TWO: SAN JOSE 3 at NASHVILLE 0 -April 23
With commissioner Gary Bettman overseeing the tilt, the Sharks played a lot more disciplined, not allowing power play goals this time - or any goals for that matter! Vesa Toskala snuffed 25 Nashville shots for his first career playoff shutout and Jonathan Cheechoo's goal and two assists helped it count. Patrick Marleau also had a goal and assist, and Mark Smith also notched one for the Sharks as they evened the series 1-all.

GAME THREE: NASHVILLE 1 at SAN JOSE 4 -April 25
The Sharks bite again, going up 2-1 in the series on goals from Patrick Marleau, rookie Steve Bernier (game winner), Jonathan Cheechoo, and Marleau again. Nashville scored first in the first on a shorthanded tally by Kimmo Timonen.

GAME FOUR: NASHVILLE 4 at SAN JOSE 5 -April 27
A hat trick by Patrick Marleau - who scored two in the previous tilt - helped San Jose to a 5-4 win over the Predators and a commanding 3-1 series lead. It was his third career post season triple-tally (the other two were against St. Louis and Colorado in 2004). His third goal had put the Sharkies up 5-2 but Nashville's Mike Sillinger and Scott Hartnell scored in the final ten minutes to make things interesting. Rissmiller and Smith had the other two Shark goals and Nashville got their other two from Paul Kariya and Weber.

GAME FIVE: SAN JOSE 2 at NASHVILLE 1 -April 30
San Jose orders another round! Steve Bernier then Patrick Marleau each scored power play goals to lift the Sharks to a 2-0 lead and they held on to win 2-1 and eliminate the Predators. Paul Kariya gave Nashville hope at 11:06 of the third but they could not score again to tie it up.

Sharks win series 4 games to 1.

Eastern Conference

#1 Ottawa Senators vs. #8 Tampa Bay Lightning

The Cup-defending Lightning found themselves barely making it to the post season dance this year, a much different position than they had been in 2004. The Senators, after leap-frogging Carolina for the #1 East seed in the very last days of the regular season, were looking to continue their winning ways.

GAME ONE: TAMPA BAY 1 at OTTAWA 4 -April 21
Tampa Bay struck first on a two-man advantage in the first (Vincent Leclavalier) but unfortunately lightning would not strike the same stadium again that night. Ottawa rallied to take Game One on power play goals 1:07 apart in the third from Havlat and Spezza, a shorthanded tally from Mike Fisher, and an empty-netter from captain Daniel Alfredsson. Ray Emery made 35 saves for the Sens in his post season debut.

GAME TWO: TAMPA BAY 4 at OTTAWA 3 -April 23
For the first time all year the Bolts beat the Senators and it was at one of the most crucial times. They outscored them 4-3 to even up the series at 1. Martin St. Louis, one of the Cup-winning '04 heroes, finally found his scoring touch and notched the first and last Tampa goals. Dan Boyle had tied it up 3-3 and Brad Richards also scored for Tampa. Martin Havlat, Peter Schaefer, and Bryan Smolinski - who had opened up the scoring in the first - tallied for Ottawa.

GAME THREE: OTTAWA 8 at TAMPA BAY 4 -April 25
Martin Havlat scored his third and fourth goals of the playoffs, and defenseman Wade Redden had a goal and two assists as Ottawa pounded Tampa Bay to take a 2-1 series lead. Antoine Vermette notched a pair as well for Ottawa. Paul Ranger and Martin St. Louis had gotten the Bolts within 5-2 but Chris Dingman eroded any hopes of a comeback by giving the Sens a 7-minute power play on fighting and instigating charges. Dany Heatley and Zdeno Chara scored during that stretch. Paul Ranger scored again along with Kubina for Tampa, two irrelevant goals in the third, moreso after Vermette scored Ottawa's 8th goal of the night to cap it.

GAME FOUR: OTTAWA 5 at TAMPA BAY 2 -April 27
Rookie goaltender Ray Emery kept Tampa to only two goals, making 30 saves on Ottawa's way to a Game Four win and commanding 3-1 series lead. Martin Havlat scored for the fourth straight game along with Jason Spezza, Chris Phillips, Dany Heately, and Chris Neil for Ottawa. Tampa had gone up 2-1 in the first on goals from Martin St. Louis and Brad Richards.

GAME FIVE: TAMPA BAY 2 at OTTAWA 3 -April 29
The Senators please their home crowd with a 3-2 game win and 4-1 series win. Martin Havlat scored a power play goal and an assist to help send Tampa packing. Peter Schaefer and Andrej Meszaros scored first-period goals and Ray Emery made 26 saves for the Sens as they advance to the Conference Semifinals. Artyukhin and then Brad Richards tried to keep Tampa alive with tallies in the second but it was not to be.

Senators win series 4 games to 1.

#2 Carolina Hurricanes vs. #7 Montreal Canadiens

Unlike in 2002 where their run to the Cup Finals shocked everybody, in 2006 much was expected of Carolina, whose offense was bolstered by mid-season pickup Doug Weight from St. Louis (which didn't make the playoffs for the first time since 1979). The Canadiens were just hoping that their insurance company covered hurricane damage.

GAME ONE: MONTREAL 6 at CAROLINA 1 -April 22
Well... things started off well for the 'Canes at least. Fifty seconds in Matt Cullen scored, looking for his Hurricanes to continue their dominance over the Habs who had won the season series 4-0. But after that it was all Montreal. No less than 12 different players scored points with the goals belonging to Alex Kovalev (2), Francis Bouillon, Radek Bonk, Chris Higgins and Sheldon Souray. After that first minute Cristobal Huet turned his NHL playoff debut around and snuffed the 43 other Carolina shots.

GAME TWO: MONTREAL 6 at CAROLINA 5 -April 24
Poor, poor Hurricanes. The Carolina fans go home disappointed in their high-seeded home team as they drop another one in double overtime to the Habs after a spoiled comeback in regulation. Michael Ryder scored 2:32 into the second overtime despite the 'Canes rally to tie it. Bulis, Ryder, and Bonk stoked the Habs to a 3-0 lead. Cullen, Brind'amour (2) and Whitney answered back for Carolina. Kovolev and Zednik tried to put the 'Canes away again but Cory Stillman put the game into overtime. After allowing nine goals on 34 shots 'Canes goalie Martin Gerber was replaced by rookie Cam Ward.

GAME THREE: CAROLINA 2 at MONTREAL 1(OT) -April 26
Eric Staal scored a power play goal 3:38 into overtime to lift the 'Canes to a 2-1 win and get their series back on track after dropping the first two at home. Montreal had lead 1-0 on a Zednick tally but longtime Hurricane Rod Brind'Amour tied the game 11:27 into the third. In the second, Montreal's Saku Koivu got poked in the face near his left eye by Carolina's Justin Williams. Koivu left the game and did not return.

GAME FOUR: CAROLINA 3 at MONTREAL 2 -April 28
Captain Rod Brind'Amour scored 5:54 into the third period to win the game for his Hurricanes and even up the series. They had went up 2-0 on goals by Justin Williams and Cam Ward, but blew it, allowing Montreal to come back on goals by Perezhogin and Souray.

GAME FIVE: MONTREAL 1 at CAROLINA 2 -April 30
The Hurricanes take Game Five and the series lead on goals by Eric Staal and Matt Cullin. After being down 2-0, Montreal only answered back once on a goal by Kovalev in the third.

GAME SIX: CAROLINA 2 at MONTREAL 1(OT) -May 2
Cory Stillman scored 1:19 into overtime to lift the 'Canes to a Game Six and series winner. Montreal, only getting a goal from Sheldon Souray (the first goal of the game), is eliminated and Carolina advances to the Eastern Conference Semifinals. Rookie Cam Ward won his fourth straight start, stopping 25 shots; Mark Recchi, in his first goal of the playoffs, had the first Carolina goal.

Hurricanes win series 4 games to 2.

#3 New Jersey Devils vs. #6 New York Rangers

After being one of the league's jokes for years - having the highest team salary yet not even getting close to the post season - FINALLY, for the first time since Wayne Gretzky took them deep in 1997, the New York Rangers made the playoffs! With offensive threats like Jaromir Jagr and Martin Straka reunited for the first time since their days in Pittsburgh and a hot rookie goaltender (Henrik Lundqvist), New York looked to battle with their neighboring foes in New Jersey, a perennial Cup contender.

GAME ONE: NEW YORK RANGERS 1 at NEW JERSEY 6 -April 22
The Rangers had a devil of a time staying out of the penalty box with their first playoff game since 1997 as they were routed 6-1 in the series opener. New Jersey pleased their home crowd with a rout of their enemies across the river on two goals by Patrik Elias and power play goals by Scott Gomez, Brian Rafalski and Jamie Langenbrunner. Ken Klee also scored for the Devils and New York's lone tally was from rookie Petr Prucha's first-period power play goal that had tied it at 1.

GAME TWO: NEW YORK RANGERS 1 at NEW JERSEY 4 -April 24
The Rangers - without Jagr still - go down 2-0 in the series at the hands of another devilish rout. John Madden embarrassed the Rangers with a two man down shorthanded goal right after getting out of the penalty box. That was the second of his two shorthanded goals of the night which tied an NHL record. Oh and Madden also scored an even strength goal for the hat trick. Brian Gionta was the other goal scorer for the Devils. The Rangers' loan goal came from Blair Betts early in the third.

GAME THREE: NEW JERSEY 3 at NEW YORK RANGERS 0 -April 26
Jagr finally returns! Yet, doesn't score... or any other Ranger for that matter. New York drops to 0-3 on the series as they are outscored 0-3 by the Devils. Martin Brodeur stopped all 25 shots in his 21st career playoff shutout and Patrick Elias had a goal and an assist as New Jersey shuts out the Rangers in their first playoff home game in nearly a decade. Elias set up a Jamie Langenbrunner goal just over a minute into the first. Zach Parise also scored for the Devils in the second.

GAME FOUR: NEW JERSEY 4 at NEW YORK RANGERS 2 -April 29
Maybe the Rangers missed golfing so much. New Jersey ends New York's first playoff run in nearly a decade without letting them have any wins with a 4-2 victory to seal the sweep and advance to Round Two. The Rangers had put themselves up 1-0 in the first - their first lead the entire series - on a goal by Ortmeyer, but Scott Gomez and Patrick Elias took that away in the second. Gionta and Elias again scored insurance goals in the third. With less than two minutes to go Steve Rucchin scored for the Rangers, but it was still all over for the boys in blue.

Devils win series 4 games to 0.

#4 Buffalo Sabres vs. #5 Philadelphia Flyers

After years of financial woes and lackluster performances, the Sabres finally find themselves back into the playoffs and hoping that, like in Bruce Almighty, prayers are answered and the Cup comes to Buffalo. Philly was looking to fly as high as they usually do and do some sabre-rattling of their own.

GAME ONE: PHILADELPHIA 2 at BUFFALO 3(2OT) -April 22
Daniel Briere tipped in Jochen Hecht's centering pass 7:31 into the second overtime for a 3-2 victory over the Flyers in the series opener. The Sabres had went up 2-0 on goals from Tim Connolly and Jay McKee but Philly's Mike Knuble and Simon Gagne (his in the final minutes of regulation) had tied it up.

GAME TWO: PHILADELPHIA 2 at BUFFALO 8 -April 24
This one had Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock muttering post press conference profanities. Maybe Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was correct, though, in saying the Flyers played like "idiots." Two Buffalo players - J.P. Dumont and Jason Pominville - had hat tricks in this 8-2 drubbing of the flyboys. The worse things got, the more penalties the Flyers took, which made things even worse. And so on. Denis Gauthier got ejected and Ben Eager got two misconducts. Chris Drury and Kotalik also tallied for Buffalo. The Flyers got goals from Simon Gagne and Petr Nedved.

GAME THREE: BUFFALO 2 at PHILADELPHIA 4 -April 26
The Flyers finally take off in game Three and not a moment too soon. Peter Forseberg scores twice along with tallies by Brian Savage and Simon Gagne, Robert Esche stops 26 of 28 Buffalo shots, and Philly trims Buffalo's series lead to 2-1. Buffalo's Kotalik opened up the scoring in the first and Tim Connolly got the other Sabre tally.

GAME FOUR: BUFFALO 4 at PHILADELPHIA 5 -April 28
R.J. Umberger scored midway through the third to send Philly to a Game Four win and tie the series. Perhaps he wanted footage of him scoring a goal on the highlight reel, instead of the play where he was knocked on his ass in Game One which was played over and over again. Peter Forseberg had two goals along with tallies from Petr Nedved and Eric Dejardins. Buffalo got two from Daniel Briere and one each from Thomas Vanek and Mike Grier. Philly had to overcome a 2-0 deficit in the first.

GAME FIVE: PHILADELPHIA 0 at BUFFALO 3 -April 30
Buffalo again takes the series lead by shutting out the Flyers 3-0. Ryan Miller was solid, snuffing all 24 shots he faced for his first career playoff shutout. Tim Connolly and J.P. Dumont scored power play goals and had an assist each for the Sabres. Maxim Afinogenov also scored while Daniel Briere had two helpers of his own.

GAME SIX: BUFFALO 7 at PHILADELPHIA 1 -May 2
The Sabres opened up another can of whoopass on the floundering Flyers, eliminating them from the playoffs in the process. Chris Drury scored twice and Ryan Miller had 21 saves for Buffalo as they advance to the Conference Seminfinals for the first time in five years. Mike Grier, Alex Kotalik and Derek Roy all scored for Buffalo in the first period to destroy the Flyers who only got a goal from Branko Radivojevic in the second, which had only made it 5-1; Chris Drury made it 6-1 anyway a mere 49 seconds later. Jason Pominville and Maxim Afinogenov also scored for Buffalo.

Sabres win series 4 games to 2.


Round Two - Conference Semifinals

Western Conference

#5 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Edmonton Oilers

With both teams flying high after defeating their higher-seeded opponents in the opening round, guessing which one would have more momentum was challenging. San Jose probably had the edge for being more talented in '05-'06, but the Oilers had just done the impossible, and as they say, the playoffs are a different season.

GAME ONE: EDMONTON 1 at SAN JOSE 2 -May 7
The high-flying Sharks won their fifth straight, taking Game One 2-1. Patrick Marleau scored his eighth playoff goal, Christian Ehrhoff got the game-winner in the second (his first playoff goal), Rookie Milan Michalek had two assists and Vesa Toskala stopped 15 shots in his fifth consecutive victory. After Jaroslav Spacek's early power-play goal, the Oilers were silent, kept to only 2 shots in the second by an agressive Sharks team.

GAME TWO: EDMONTON 1 at SAN JOSE 2 -May 8
Moments after killing a 5-on-3 penalty, San Jose's Joe Thornton scored the go-ahead goal in the second period and again the Sharks edge the Oilers 2-1 to go up two-zip in the series. San Jose continues to prove they're some tough cookies after killing a whopping 101 seconds of the two-man disadvantage on amazing efforts by goalie Vesa Toskala and skaters Scott Hannan, Mark Smith and Kyle McLaren. Hannan and Smith even both broke their sticks!

"That was the Black Knight from 'Monty Python (and the Holy Grail)'," Sharks coach Ron Wilson said. "Guys dropping, sticks breaking, pieces flying off. It was an unbelievable effort. I've never heard a crowd that loud."

San Jose's Priessing had opened up the scoring in the first. Edmonton answered back in the second with Sergei Samsonov.

GAME THREE: SAN JOSE 2 at EDMONTON 3(3OT) -May 10
It was the longest game in Sharks history and all they had to show for it in the end was a loss. Oiler Shawn Horcoff finally ended it 2:24 into triple overtime when most people in the East and Midwest were deep into dreamland. He snatched up a backhand pass from Ryan Smyth behind the Sharks' net and tapped it past Vesa Toskala. It was the third-longest game in Oilers history. Toskala had to make 55 saves and Dwayne Roloson only made 32. Oiler defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron opened up the scoring with Patrick Marleau tying it up later. Joe Thornton made it 2-1 but later Chris Pronger from behind the Oilers net made one of his famous long-distance passes and hit Jarret Stoll who fired it through the neutral zone to Raffi Torres who buried it for the tying goal.

GAME FOUR: SAN JOSE 3 at EDMONTON 6 -May 12
You just can't ever count the Oilers out in 2006. San Jose got complacent after Jonathan Cheechoo's goal made it 3-1 just over 9 minutes into the second and the Oilers scored five unanswered goals starting with Michael Peca's goal a few minutes later, a desperation shot that managed to sneak in. Sergei Samsonov, Jason Smith, Ales Hemsky and Jarret Stoll followed. Shawn Horcoff, who had scored the gamer winner the previous tilt, had trimmed San Jose's lead to 2-1 in the first. Thornton and Ekman had scored those two goals.

GAME FIVE: EDMONTON 6 at SAN JOSE 3 -May 14
The Sharks are reeling and the Oilers are stealing. After hearing their national anthem booed before the game at the Shark Tank, Edmonton decided to teach them a little respect. Fernando Pisani broke a tie with his second goal early in the third period, and Ryan Smyth had two goals and two assists as the eighth-seeded Oilers routed the Sharks in their building to take a 3-2 series lead. Shawn Horcoff's short-handed 12 seconds into the third had made it 3-1 but the Sharks came back with two quick goals by Christian Ehrhoff and Jonathan Cheechoo. The Oilers kept their cool, Shawn Horcoff scored the game-winner later and Pisani, Stoll, and Smyth added insurance tallies. Joe Thornton had tied the game at 1 for the Sharks early in the second.

GAME SIX: SAN JOSE 0 at EDMONTON 2 -May 17
Michael Peca and Shawn Horcoff provided the only offense of the game, Dwayne Roloson snuffed all 24 shots he faced for his first career playoff shutout, and the eigth-seeded Oilers shutout the Sharks to advance to the Western Conference Finals! Roloson made many spectacular saves, including jumping in the air to snag a puck like a baseball shortstop during a Sharks 5-on-3 power play. The Sharks go home for the summer and Edmonton charges into the Final Four!

Oilers win series 4 games to 2.

#6 Disneyland Ducks* vs. #7 Colorado Avalanche

The Ducks had quite a challenge ahead of them, as the Avalanche, even though they made the playoffs by the skin of their teeth, came charging in like gangbusters and knocked off the second-seeded Stars. Well, at first it looked like they had a challenge, at least.

GAME ONE: COLORADO 0 at DISNEYLAND 5 -May 5
J.S. who??? Ilya Bryzgalov posted his second consecutive shutout as the Ducks rout Colorado and take a 1-0 series lead. The Ducks scored four times in the second - Pahlsson, Kunitz, Selanne and Lupul - to really break the game wide open. Moen added a goal in the third.

GAME TWO: COLORADO 0 at DISNEYLAND 3 -May 7
With the rising cost of fuel these days, maybe after that long winning streak the Avalanche have run out of gas. This time Disneyland only scored three goals, but the first one was enough as Ilya Bryzgalov blanks the Avs again, tying an NHL rookie record set in 1945. (Toronto's Frank McCool, who had three postseason shutouts in a row as a rookie against Detroit in 1945). Ryan Getzlaf opened the scoring in the first period, and Ruslan Salei and Joffrey Lupul potted goals in the second. Colorado has yet to score in Round Two.

GAME THREE: DISNEYLAND 4 at COLORADO 3(OT) -May 9
Bryzgalov's streak ended, but the Ducks still won to take a commanding 3-0 series lead. All four of Disneyland's goals were scored by Joffery Lupul - including the winner with 3:30 remaing in the first overtime! The Avs finally got some goals from Dan Hinote, Jim Dowd, and Rob Blake.

GAME FOUR: DISNEYLAND 4 at COLORADO 1 -May 11
Todd Marchant, Teemu Selanne and Dustin Penner all capitalized on defensive mistakes by Patrice Brisebois and the Ducks sweep away the Avs and head to the Conference Finals. Bryzbalov was brilliant again, only holding Colorado to Joe Sakic's goal in the first that had opened up the scoring. Todd Marchant scored twice.

Ducks win series 4 games to 0.

Eastern Conference

#1 Ottawa Senators vs. #4 Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres probably came into Round Two feeling mighty pleased with themselves. After all they destroyed the usually-powerful Flyers in the previous round. But the Ottawa Senators were a force to be reckoned with, looking for their first-ever Stanley Cup and the talent to get it.

GAME ONE: BUFFALO 7 at OTTAWA 6(OT) -May 5
Chris Drury scored merely 18 seconds into overtime to stun Ottawa and beat them 7-6. Buffalo had been down 6-5 but with only 11 seconds remaining they had tied it up on a Tim Connolly goal. With only a little over a minute left in the game Bryan Smolinski - with his second goal of the game - had put Ottawa ahead, which made Buffalo's comeback and OT win all the more surprising. Derek Roy had a pair of tallies for Buffalo, one of them a shorthanded goal. Other goals: BUF: Mike Grier, Teppo Numminen, and Tim Connolly (he had two). OTT: Jason Spezza, Martin Havlat, Dany Heatley, and M. Fisher.

GAME TWO: BUFFALO 2 at OTTAWA 1 -May 8
J.P. Dumont and Jochen Hecht both scored less than three minutes apart in the second to give Buffalo a 2-0 lead. 1:40 later Chris Phillips answered back for the Senators, but Ryan Miller with his 43 saves helped the Sabres still hold on for the 2-1 win and 2-0 series lead. Ray Emery made 15 saves for the Senators, who very nearly tied it up on a Jason Spezza breakaway with 2:28 left.

GAME THREE: OTTAWA 2 at BUFFALO 3(OT) -May 10
J.P. Dumont strikes again 5:05 into the extra period to give the Sabres a 3-2 win and a commanding 3-0 series lead. Chris Drury and Maxim Afinogenov also scored and rookie Ryan Miller stopped 26 shots for Buffalo. Jason Spezza scored a pair of power play goals for the Sens.

GAME FOUR: OTTAWA 2 at BUFFALO 1 -May 11
As much as the Buffalo fans wanted their team to advance right before their eyes that night, the Senators had other plans. Ottawa goalie Ray Emery held the Sabres to one goal - Briere's tally in the second - and helped make sure the Sens didn't go down without a fight and lived to play another game. J.P. Dumont almost struck again but was stopped by Emery with only 70 seconds left. Ottawa's Brian Pothier opened up the scoring in the first period and Wade Redden scored the game-winner in the third.

GAME FIVE: BUFFALO 3 at OTTAWA 2(OT) -May 13
Jason Pominville scored a shorthanded goal 2:26 into overtime to give his Sabres a 3-2 win and a Conference Finals berth. Jay McKee, who had been sitting in the penalty box for tripping Sens captain Alfredsson, was the first to came out and bear hug him, followed by the rest of the team. Ryan Miller made 34 saves for Buffalo who also got goals from Chris Drury and Henrik Tallinder. Tallinder's goal was the defenseman's first-ever playoff goal and it was scored merely 33 seconds in. Senator captain Daniel Alfredsson had tied it at 1 and Brian Pothier had scored for the second game in a row on a power play at 13:59 of second that had tied it at 2.

Sabres win series 4 games to 1.

#2 Carolina Hurricanes vs. #3 New Jersey Devils

Things had looked bleak for the Hurricanes after dropping the first two games of Round One at home. But they came roaring back, winning four in a row to win the series and were looking to continue that streak coming into this round. But the powerful Devils were also riding a four-game winning streak after sweeping away the Rangers. Actually it was a 15-game streak if you count the end of the regular season. Whose streak would be broken first?

GAME ONE: NEW JERSEY 0 at CAROLINA 6 -May 6
It took a hurricane to end New Jersey's winning streak that had went back to March 26. They were blown over and Brodeur chased out of the net in Carolina's 6-0 route. The 'Canes won it on rookie Cam Ward's first career playoff shutout, two goals by Ray Whitney, and one each from Eric Staal, Cory Stillman, Doug Weight, and Ron Brind'amour. The lucky bounces helped the 'Canes as the first two goals of the game weren't actual shots on net.

GAME TWO: NEW JERSEY 2 at CAROLINA 3(OT) -May 8
The Hurricanes bounce into another win and a 2-0 series lead. Niclas Wallin scored his first goal of the playoffs 3:09 into overtime in a strange way: the puck bounced off of his stick, then his skate, then through Martin Brodeur's legs. He didn't even know how it'd happened at first. A video replay had to uphold the winning goal. Like the first two goals of Game One it wasn't even a shot on net; the bounces definitely have not been going Brodeur's way. New Jersey's Jamie Langenbrunner had opened up the scoring, Recci answered back for Carolina, but with a mere 21 seconds left Scott Gomez scored and it had looked like NJ was on their way to a 2-1 win. But then Eric Staal tied it up 18 seconds later.

GAME THREE: CAROLINA 3 at NEW JERSEY 2 -May 10
Carolina's lucky bounces are about the bounce the Devils right out of the playoffs. Rod Brind'Amour's deflected an Eric Staal long shot during a power play and again Brodeur found another game-winner for Carolina bouncing right between his pads. It was during a four-minute penalty handed to Langenbrunner for high-sticking. Sergei Brylin and Patrik Elias scored for the Devils and Carolina's other two goals were scored by Matt Cullen and Justin Williams in the first.

GAME FOUR: CAROLINA 1 at NEW JERSEY 5 -May 13
When on the brink of elimination, the Devils decided they'd had enough of that nonsense. Scott Gomez scored two power play goals in the first on the way to a 5-1 rout of the 'Canes to stave off elminination. Jay Pandolfo scored a goal in between. Sergei Brylin and John Madden also scored for New Jersey. Recchi had the lone goal for Carolina. Martin Brodeur finally had a good game, making 19 saves and moved into sole possession of third place on the NHL career playoff wins list with 89 while playing his record 141st consecutive game.

GAME FIVE: NEW JERSEY 1 at CAROLINA 4 -May 14
Cam Ward got off to a rocky start, allowing New Jersey's Brian Gionta to score less than a minute in. But after that he was stellar, snuffing the rest of the shots he faced to help his Hurricanes win the game - and the series - and send the Devils packing. Cory Stillman scored the game winner on a power play in the second. Frantisek Kaberle, Ray Whitney and Eric Staal also scored for the 'Canes.

Hurricanes win series 4 games to 1.


Round Three - Conference Finals (Stanley Cup Semifinals)

Western Conference

#6 Disneyland Ducks* vs. #8 Edmonton Oilers

With the Oilers winning the season series against the Ducks 4-0, and with them flying high after knocking off the top seeds in Rounds One and Two, the fact that the Ducks ranked higher than the Oilers into this round probably didn't amount to a hill of beans.

GAME ONE: EDMONTON 3 at DISNEYLAND 1 -May 19
The Oilers keep on rolling into Round Three. Dwayne Roloson not only stymied the Ducks offense with his 31 saves but also chipped in with his own offense - a great clearing pass to Michael Peca to assist on his goal in the first period. Andy McDonald tied it for the Ducks only 28 seconds later but that was the only goal that Dwayne allowed. Ales Hemsky scored the go-ahead goal in the second and Todd Harvey added an empty netter and the Oilers take Game One!

GAME TWO: EDMONTON 3 at DISNEYLAND 1 -May 21
Edmonton fans are going quackers after their Oilers put the Ducks down again 3-1. Now they're 0-2 in the series and have to make up for lost ground in enemy territory, an especially daunting task since they've lost the last 12 games they've played there. Chris Pronger opened up the scoring thirteen minutes into the first, Jeff Friesen tied it up in the second, but Edmonton's Fernando Pisani (in the 2nd) and Michael Peca (in the 3rd) scored two unanswered goals for the win. Roloson made 24 saves. Ilya Bryzgalov made 31.

GAME THREE: DISNEYLAND 4 at EDMONTON 5 -May 23
The game started off quiet. Roloson continued snuffing all the Ducks' shots and Toby Peterson scored for the Oilers in the first. But then the third period came. Eight goals were scored in the last 20 minutes. Goals by Michael Peca, Steve Staios and Chris Pronger in the first five minutes of that wild period lifted them to a 4-0 lead. But the Ducks weren't done yet; after premature chanting of "WE WANT THE CUP!" by the Edmonton fans, Sean O'Donnell, Teemu Selanne, and Chris Kunitz made it 4-3. Fernando Pisani, in his 9th playoff goal, added an insurance tally and the Oilers needed it as moments later Teemu Selanne again made it 5-4. But the Oilers, even though flu-ridden, get the win and are one game away from the Stanley Cup Finals!

GAME FOUR: DISNEYLAND 6 at EDMONTON 3 -May 25
With their backs to the wall, and their 2003 hero Jean-Sebastien Giguere back in goal, the Ducks finally took flight. They lived to quack another day on two goals apiece by rookie Dustin Penner and Joffrey Lupul. Rookie Ryan Getzlaf and defenseman Ruslan Salei also scored for Disneyland. Marc-Andre Bergeron, Ryan Smyth, and Georges Laraque scored for the Oilers. It was the Ducks' first win in Edmonton since Feb. 24, 1999. "Jiggy" made 20 saves.

GAME FIVE: EDMONTON 2 at DISNEYLAND 1 -May 27
The Oilers edged the Ducks on the go-ahead goal Raffi Torres in the second period and Edmonton advances to the Stanley Cup Finals! They are the lowest seeded team ever in the current playoff format to go to the fourth round and they go to the Finals for the first time since 1990 - the last time they won it. Roloson stopped 32 shots, only allowing Disneyland's 1-0 power play goal by Francois Beauchemin in the first. Ethan Moreau tied it up in the second before Torres' game winner. Giguere was pulled with 3 minutes left but the Ducks couldn't tie it up, even with a 6-on-3 advantage.

Oilers win the series 4 games to 1.

Eastern Conference

#2 Carolina Hurricanes vs. #4 Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres came into the third round charging like a herd of buffalo after smoking the competition in the first two rounds - including many lopsided routs. But the herd had a chance of being swept away by a powerful Hurricane, as Carolina had also had their share of decisive victories agains their former oponents.

GAME ONE: BUFFALO 3 at CAROLINA 2 -May 20
After dominating and playing most of the game in their offensive end, the Sabres' hard work was not in vain and they take Game One and the series lead. Jay McKee got only the third goal in 46 career NHL playoff games seconds after leaving the penalty box, captain Daniel Briere roofed a wrister past Cam Ward in the second, and Henrik Tallinder had opened up the scoring in the first to get the win. Rookie Ryan Miller made 29 saves and only allowed goals from Rod Brind'Amour and a short handed tally from Mike Commodore that had pulled Carolina within 3-2.

GAME TWO: BUFFALO 3 at CAROLINA 4 -May 22
The Hurricanes even up the series on a dominating effort where they outshot the Sabres 35-19 and outscored them 4-3. Ray Whitney had both of his goals in the second period and Frank Kaberle and Justin Williams also scored for Carolina and they avoided the Ducks' perilous situation of being down 0-2 traveling to enemy territory. Cam Ward needed only 16 saves to pick up his ninth victory of the playoffs. Buffalo's Thomas Vanek got credit for a goal that appeared to bounce in off Carolina defenseman Mike Commodore in the first. Chris Drury and Roy also scored for the Sabres.

GAME THREE: CAROLINA 3 at BUFFALO 4 -May 24
Daniel Briere scored twice for the Sabres in the second period on their way to a 4-3 win and 2-1 series lead. Ales Kotalik had a goal and assist, and Chris Drury had tied it up at 1 in the first after Carolina's Cory Stillman scored first. Buffalo had to hold off the 'Canes as they attempted to tie it up on another Cory Stillman goal in the second period and one from Eric Staal with less than five minutes left in the game. Martin Gerber returned after Cam Ward was yanked and Gerber stopped all seven shots he faced - including three breakways.

GAME FOUR: CAROLINA 4 at BUFFALO 0 -May 26
What is it with goalies in the 2006 playoffs? Much like Giguere had made a triumphant return to the net with the Ducks to get their much-needed win, wayward 'Canes goaltender Martin Gerber is back and shuts out the usually offensive-laden Sabres, making 22 saves for his first playoff shutout so his Hurricanes can tie the series. Mark Recchi, Eric Staal, Andrew Ladd and Bret Hedican made sure his efforts weren't in vain.

GAME FIVE: BUFFALO 3 at CAROLINA 4 -May 28
Cory Stillman corralled a loose puck and slid it between Ryan Miller's pads for a power-play goal 8:46 into overtime, giving Carolina the win and 3-2 series lead. Cam Ward came back after Gerber had them down by two. Brind'Amour scored on the power play in the second period to tie it at 3. Justin Williams and Mark Recchi also scored for the 'Canes. Chris Drury, Derek Roy and Toni Lydman each scored for the Sabres who coughed up a 2-goal lead in the second.

GAME SIX: CAROLINA 1 at BUFFALO 2(OT) -May 30
For only the second time in the '06 playoffs, there will be a Game Seven. The Sabres foil Carolina's chance of avoiding a Game Seven and tie up the series on Sabres captain Daniel Briere's goal only 4:22 into overtime. Doug Weight had been called for boarding Jason Pominville which led to the OT power play goal. Weight claimed Pominville intentionally turned his back, that he had done it before in the series, and that the penalty was "crap," and that he was going to "make amends" in Game Seven. We'll see, Dougie. Sabres went up 1-0 in the first on a J.P. Dumont goal but Carolina's Bret Hedican tied it up with 3:53 left in regulation. Buffalo's Ryan Miller stopped 25 shots while Cam Ward stopped 29.

GAME SEVEN: BUFFALO 2 at CAROLINA 4 -June 1
The Carolina Hurricanes win a Game Seven - for the first time ever, even going back to when they were the Hartford Whalers - against the Buffalo Sabres. Rod Brind'Amour snapped a third period tie and assisted on Justin Williams' goal in the final minute to seal the victory. Mike Commodore had given Carolina a 1-0 lead but Doug Janik and Jochen Hecht had the Sabres up 2-1. Weight tied it early in the third. The 'Canes storm into the Finals and the Sabres start working on their backswing!

Hurricanes with series 4 games to 3.


Round Four - Stanley Cup Finals

Carolina Hurricanes vs. Edmonton Oilers

Chris Pronger and Doug Weight were traded from the St. Louis Blues before and during the 2005-2006 season and they were good trades for both players as they are now in the Stanley Cup Finals facing off against each other. The Cinderella 8th-seeded Oilers suddenly became a tough team to beat during the playoffs but so did the Hurricanes who return to the Finals after their own Cinderella run at it in 2002 where they lost in five games to the Red Wings.

GAME ONE: EDMONTON 4 at CAROLINA 5 -June 5
A bad turnover by Edmonton backup netminder Ty Conklin led to Rod Brind'Amour's game-winning goal with only 00:32 left and the Hurricanes take Game One of the Finals! Carolina had found themselves in a 3-0 hole by the middle of the second on Edmonton goals from Fernando Pisani, Chris Pronger - on the first successful penalty shot in Finals history, and Ethan Moreau. But Ray Whitney quickly scored twice to tie it up after Brind'Amour had gotten the 'Canes on the board. Jason Williams converted on a shorthanded breakaway later to make it 4-3 Hurricanes. Ales Hemsky had tied it at 4, but Dwayne Roloson suffered a devastating knee injury in the third that put him out for good, bringing in Conklin who allowed Carolina's game winner.

GAME TWO: EDMONTON 0 at CAROLINA 5 -June 7
Without Rollie the Goalie, Edmonton ain't rollin! The wheels are coming off of the Oilers as they get shut out by Buffalo in Game Two. Another backup Oiler goaltender, Jussi Markkanen, allows five goals on 26 shots; he was lit up by Andrew Ladd, Frantisek Kaberle, Cory Stillman, Doug Weight, and then Mark Recchi. Cam Ward stopped all 25 shots he faced for his first Finals shutout.

GAME THREE: CAROLINA 1 at EDMONTON 2 -June 10
Jussi Markkanen won a game for the first time since January and it couldn't have come at a more crucial time. The Edmonton crowd was chanting his name instead of booing him off the ice for once. Ryan Smyth scored a disputed goal off a rebound with 2:15 left in the game and the Oilers prevailed, beating the 'Canes 2-1. Markkanen stopped 24 shots, only allowing Rod Brind'Amour's goal that had tied up the game with nearly 11 minutes left. Edmonton's 1-0 lead off of a Sean Horcoff goal 2 1/2 minutes into the game was zealously protected until that goal.

GAME FOUR: CAROLINA 2 at EDMONTON 1 -June 12
The Hurricanes hope that history is on their side; with a 2-1 win they lead the Stanley Cup Finals 3 games to 1 and only the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs came out of that hole. Sergei Samsonov scored in the first to give the Oilers a 1-0 lead, breaking his 10-game goal-less streak that had lasted a month. But Cory Stillman, riding a 12-game point streak and on his way to a possible second straight championship (he was with the 2004 Tampa Bay Lightning squad) tied it up less than a minute later. Mark Recchi scored the go-ahead goal in the second and the 'Canes held off the desperate Oilers in the third, relying on Ward to make some awesome saves to give them a chance to win the Cup in front of their home crowd days later.

GAME FIVE: EDMONTON 4 at CAROLINA 3(OT)-June 14
Edmonton's Fernando Pisani scored a shorthanded, breakaway goal 3:21 into overtime Wednesday to give the Oilers the OT win and force a Game Six. After Steve Staios was called for tripping, Carolina had an excellent opportunity to win Lord Stanley's Cup but the Oilers had other plans. The first period was a wild one, Pisani scoring the first goal, followed by Eric Staal and Ray Whitney to put the 'Canes up 2-1, but Ales Hemsky and Michael Peca put the Oilers up 3-2. Eric Staal scored again to even things up in the second.

GAME SIX: CAROLINA 0 at EDMONTON 4 -June 17
Pandemonium. That's the word to describe Edmonton's Rexall Place after the Oilers shut out the Hurricanes to force a Game Seven. And they haven't even won the Cup yet. Streamers drifted down from the rafters and even raw Alberta meat was thrown over the glass as the fans celebrated the victory and the first playoff shutout by the third-string goalie, Jussi Markkanen, who had only to make 16 saves to get it. Fernando Pisani scores again to open things up in the first period followed by Raffi Torres. Ryan Smythe and Sean Horcoff capped off the scoring in the third. Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper was on hand to cheer on the Oilers, even though he's from Calgary - home of the bitter rival Flames. The Oilers dominated every aspect of the game, outshooting the 'Canes as they more than doubled up on shots: 34-16.

GAME SEVEN: EDMONTON 1 at CAROLINA 3 -June 19
The Carolina Hurricanes won their first Stanley Cup in history, going back to the Hartford Whalers days, in front of their raucous home crowd. Aaron Ward started off the scoring in the first, followed by Kaberle in the second, stoking the 'Canes to a 2-0 lead. Early in the third, Fernando Pisani halfed that lead, but no matter how hard the Oilers played, how much pressure they applied, they could not get the equalizer. Justin Williams sealed the deal with an empty netter with 1:11 remaining. Streamers streamed and tears flowed while they and their fans celebrated. Cam Ward was awarded the Con Smythe. Now Lord Stanley's Cup will spend the summer in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Hurricanes win series 4 games to 3.

CAROLINA HURRICANES WIN THE STANLEY CUP

Conn Smythe Trophy
most valuable player in the 2006 playoffs:
Cam Ward (CAR); 2.19 goals-against average and .918 save percentage. 14-8 record.

Source: nhl.com


*Yes, I am aware of what the Ducks' real name is, as you can see from the pipe link. I call them the Disneyland Ducks because they are more for Disney than Anaheim, more of a shameless marketing vehicle for the Disney corporation than a hockey team. And they are NOT mighty!!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.