= 2001 = 2002 = 2003 = 2004 = 2006 = 2007 = 2008 = 2009 = 2010 = 2011= 2012 = 2014 = 2015 = 2016 = 2017 = 2018 = 2019 = 2020 =

Round One - Conference Quarterfinals

Western Conference

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colorado Avalanche

The Sharks find themselves sitting atop the West again, facing the Avalanche, a team that only a year before had found themselves not only out of the playoffs but in the league's basement. Would the Sharks have enough bite to send them back there?

GAME ONE: COLORADO 2 at SAN JOSE 1 - April 15 | Highlights | Photos
When it looked like Game One was headed for overtime, a lucky bounce helped the Avs take a 1-0 series lead. Chris Stewart's shot from the right corner went off the left skate blade of Sharks captain Rob Blake and past Evgeni Nabokov with 49.3 seconds remaining. Colorado netminder Craig Anderson stopped 25 shots in his first playoff start - and win. The Avs also scored first, John-Michael Liles on the power play at 12:38 of the second. Ryan Clowe tied things up later for the Sharkies.

GAME TWO: COLORADO 5 at SAN JOSE 6 (OT) - April 16 | Highlights | Photos
This was not an easy one for the Sharks as they had to rally five times and win in overtime. Joe Pavelski - after TWO Sharks goals were waved off in the third - tied it up in the final minute of regulation and Devin Setoguchi scored a power play overtime goal at 5:22 of the extra period for the win. Chris Stewart scored twice and Brandon Yip had a goal and two assists for the Avs. 70 seconds into the game Avs d-man Kyle Cumiskey got credited with a goal the Sharks scored on themselves, Rob Blake clearing the puck, hitting teammate Vlasic, and trickling it in. Manny Malhotra tied it later and then later still Rob Blake scored a goal for his own team.

GAME THREE: SAN JOSE 0 at COLORADO 1 (OT) - April 18 | Highlights | Photos
Avalanche rookie center Ryan O'Reilly scored a flukey goal 51 seconds into overtime, not even realizing at first that he scored it, getting his stick on the puck after Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle tried to backhand it behind his own net. Evgeni Nabokov, who stopped 16 shots, was just as surprised as he was. Craig Anderson made a home playoff record 51 saves for the win.

GAME FOUR: SAN JOSE 2 at COLORADO 1 (OT) - April 20 | Highlights | Photos
 Joe Pavelski scored 10:24 into overtime for the Sharks win. Dan Boyle, the other Sharks goal-scorer, redeemed himself (he had scored that own-net goal) in the first period. Colorado had tied it up in the second with a tally from Paul Stastny.

GAME FIVE: COLORADO 0 at SAN JOSE 5 - April 22 | Highlights | Photos
It was all Sharks in this shut-out rout. Evgeni Nabokov made 28 saves - 17 in the third period alone - for the snuffing. Led by Logan Couture, a 21-year-old rookie, the Sharks got tallies from him, Joe Pavelski, Dwight Helminen and Patrick Marleau.

GAME SIX: SAN JOSE 5 at COLORADO 2 - April 24 | Highlights | Photos
With yet another big effort from center Joe Pavelski the Sharks downed the Avs again, this time for good, and moved onto Round Two. After the Avalanche grabbed a 2-1 lead in the third on a tally by Brandon Yip, Boyle tied the game and Pavelski scored the go-ahead goal. Devin Setoguchi and Douglas Murray each scored empty-netters. After Pavelski scored first for San Jose only 47 seconds in, Marek Svatos tied it for the Avs.

Sharks win series 4 games to 2.

#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators

Chicago was certainly enjoying their relatively new-found success and dominence of the West, facing an opponent - the Predators - who had been watching a briefly-held dominance in the Conference slip away. Chicago was hoping to chop ahead to the second round but Nashville was hoping they'd have more bite.

GAME ONE: NASHVILLE 4 at CHICAGO 1 - April 16 | Highlights | Photos
An ex-Hawk came back to haunt Chicago, J.P. Dumont scoring two goals in a 4-goal third period that left the second-seeded Blackhawks and their fans feeling like confused prey as the Predators won their first-ever playoff road game. Jerred Smithson and Martin Erat both got empty-netters in the final minute. Patrick Kane scored the lone goal for the 'Hawks in the second. Preds goalie Pekka Rinne stopped the other 25 shots he faced. Chicago's netminder Antti Niemi was not as sharp.

GAME TWO: NASHVILLE 0 at CHICAGO 2 - April 18 | Highlights | Photos
The 'Hawks shut out the Preds, Chicago netminder Antti Niemi stopping all 23 shots he faced. Pekka Rinne had to work harder but still got the loss, stopping 31 of 33 shots. Dave Bolland (on the power play) and Patrick Kane scored for the Blackhawks.

GAME THREE: CHICAGO 1 at NASHVILLE 4 - April 20 | Highlights | Photos
Game 3 was much different, the Predators taking the series lead. David Legwand had a goal and two assists and Martin Erat scored the first playoff penalty-shot goal in Nashville history. Joel Ward and Shea Weber also scored for Nashville. Tomas Kopecky, which had tied the game at 1, scored a power play tally for Chicago.

GAME FOUR: CHICAGO 3 at NASHVILLE 0 - April 22 | Highlights | Photos
Chicago's best players, who had been slacking, came out and shined in Game Four. Patrick Sharp scored twice, and Jonathan Toews once, and goalie Antti Niemi posted his second shutout of the postseason with 33 saves to tie up the series.

GAME FIVE: NASHVILLE 4 at CHICAGO 5 (OT) - April 24 | Highlights | Photos
After taking a major boarding penalty that extended into overtime, Marian Hossa redeemed himself and came out of the box and beat Pekka Rinne 4:07 into overtime for the win. David Legwand, Joel Ward (shorthanded), and Martin Erat (twice in a row in the third) also scored for Nashville. Chicago got tallies from Andreew Ladd, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Tomas Kopecky, and a shortie from Patrick Kane late in the third that had sent the game into OT.

GAME SIX: CHICAGO 5 at NASHVILLE 3 - April 26 | Highlights | Photos
The Blackhawks put away the Predators, getting that rematch with Vancouver in Round 2. And it was a flukey goal that got them there. During a wild, 7-goal first period Chicago stunned Nashville with a lucky bounce and Jonathan Toews scoring the game-winner. The Predators were relentless until then, not wanting to go away. But away they did go on the weird Toews goal and others by Duncan Keith, Patricks Kane and Sharp, and a third-period empty netter by Toews. The Predators, who will now go golfing, got tallies from Shea Weber, Jason Arnott (two).

Blackhawks win series 4 games to 2.

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings

Vancouver was hoping they'd be the kings in this series, with Lord Luongo on their side. But the Kings, making their first postseason appearance in a while, were hoping to be crowned ruler of the First Round.

GAME ONE: LOS ANGELES 2 at VANCOUVER 3 (OT) -April 16 | Highlights | Photos
A somewhat rarity for Quarterfinal Game Ones this season, the higher-seeded team actually dominated the lower-seeded squad just like they were supposed to. That gave the Canucks the edge and the series lead. A few minutes before Mikael Samuelsson put the game away at 8:52 of overtime Roberto Luongo made an amazing save on Kings D-man Jack Johnson. The other goals were scored in the second, Samuelsson tying it up on the power play after the Kings opened things up with a power play goal of their own with Jarret Stoll. Daniel Sedin (Vancouver) and Fredrik Modin (LA) traded goals later in the period.

GAME TWO: LOS ANGELES 3 at VANCOUVER 2 (OT) - April 17 | Highlights | Photos
After trailing 2-0 after the first, the Kings scored three unanswered goals, which included Anze Kopitar's power play winner 7:28 into the extra period, to take Game Two and even up the series. Fredrik Modin and Wayne Simmonds had the other LA goals. Vancouver's 2-0 goals were from Steve Bernier and Mikael Samuelsson.

GAME THREE: VANCOUVER 3 at LOS ANGELES 5 - April 19 | Highlights | Photos
The Kings' power play helped their first home Stanley Cup playoff game in nearly 8 years a winner. It was 3-for-3 that night with one from Drew Doughty and two from Michal Handzus. Brad Richardson and Ryan Smyth had the non-power play goals for the Kings. Vancouver got tallies from Mason Raymond, Mikael Samuelsson, and Daniel Sedin.

GAME FOUR: VANCOUVER 6 at LOS ANGELES 4 - April 21 | Highlights | Photos
The Canucks evened up the series on a winning effort; Roberto Luongo made a few key saves in the third, Daniel Sedin had three assists and Henrik Sedin scored the game-winner with 2:52 remaining. LA continued their man-advantage streak as the two clubs exchanged power play goals in the first and second, Doughty for LA, Christian Ehrhoff for Vancouver, and Dustin Brown for LA. Vancouver's Pavol Demitra took the lead and Anze Kopitar knotted it up before the second was out. However, after that it was mostly the Canucks with goals from Samuelsson, Sami Salo, Henrik Sedin, and an empty netter from Ryan Kesler. Wayne Simmonds had one more tally for the Kings in between.

GAME FIVE: LOS ANGELES 2 at VANCOUVER 7 - April 23 | Highlights | Photos
The Canucks rout the Kings to take the series lead here, Vancouver's top line of Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin and Mikael Samuelsson combining for 3 goals and 4 assists -- including Samuelsson's League-leading sixth and seventh of the playoffs. They also got tallies from Steve Bernier (who bookended the scoring scoring the first and last goals of the game), Alexander Elder, Daniel Sedin, and Demitra. LA got a power play tally from Handzus again and a wrister from Modin in the third.

GAME SIX: VANCOUVER 4 at LOS ANGELES 2 - April 25 | Highlights | Photos
Another winning effort from Vancouver and a near-impossible save by Luongo sent them to the next round and the Kings to the golf course. In the second, Kings' Ryan Smyth, alone, just feet from the goal, with a 1-0 lead (a goal from Alexander Frolov in the first), with Luongo swimming in the goal, tried to roof it but was somehow denied when the Vancouver netminder stacked his pads and made a glove save. A few minutes later Steve Bernier tied the game, LA took the lead again with Doughty, Vancouver tied it up again with Kevin Bieksa in the third, and Daniel Sedin broke that tie with 2:03 left. Alexandre Burrows scored an empty-netter.

Canucks win series 4 games to 2.

#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings

This season the Red Wings certainly found themselves in unfamiliar territory, going from being top-seeded in every playoffs since the mid-90's and the Finals the year before to being 5th-seeded this year (and at one point in danger of missing the playoffs entirely). The Coyotes were also in unfamiliar territory, 4-seeded, being a favored team to the Wings. Would they take advantage of this turn-around?

GAME ONE: DETROIT 2 at PHOENIX 3 - April 15 | Highlights | Photos
The Coyotes took first bite in the series, edging Detroit 3-2. It was a rally, all three goals power play tallies. Tomas Holmstrom scored the first goal of the series for Detroit, followed by Keith Yandle's tying tally and Nicklas Lidstrom's go-ahead goal, all of those in the first. Wojtek Wolski in the second and Derek Morris in the third tied the game and then won it.

GAME TWO: DETROIT 7 at PHOENIX 4 - April 16 | Highlights | Photos
Game 2 was a high-scoring see-saw with Detroit coming out the victor and tying the series. The up-tempo Red Wings that had visited the Finals the season before appeared to be back, after absent much of the season. The Coyotes led 1-0 (Keith Yandle), 2-1 (Wolski) and 3-2 (Matthew Lombardi) in the second period, but Detroit tied it up each time (Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Valtteri Filppula). Then after Justin Abdelkader - DET - and Shane Doan - PHX - traded goals in the third, Zetterberg broke the tie and then Filppula scored an insurance tally later. Zetterberg got the hat trick with an empty-netter.

GAME THREE: PHOENIX 4 at DETROIT 2 - April 18 | Highlights | Photos
Petr Prucha and Radim Vrbata each had a goal and an assist and Ilya Bryzgalov made 29 saves as the Coyotes won the game and regained the series lead. Sami Lepisto and Wojtek Wolski also scored for Phoenix. Detroit got tallies from Valtteri Filppula and Johan Franzen.

GAME FOUR: PHOENIX 0 at DETROIT 3 - April 20 | Highlights | Photos
The Red Wings shut out the Coyotes to once again tie up the series. Jimmy Howard snuffed all 29 shots he faced and Henrik Zetterberg scored twice in the win. A goal by Pavel Datsyuk was sandwiched in between them.

GAME FIVE: DETROIT 4 at PHOENIX 1 - April 23 | Highlights | Photos
The Red Wings took their first series lead as Tomas Holmstrom, who had been banished to fourth-line duties, made the most of his return to the top lines. He snapped a 1-1 tie with 8:51 left in regulation, followed 70 seconds later by a goal from Pavel Datsyuk. Zetterberg got an empty-netter. Ed Jovanovski got the goal for Phoenix. Drew Miller scored first in the first for Detroit.

GAME SIX: PHOENIX 5 at DETROIT 2 - April 25 | Highlights | Photos
After not being in the second round of the playoffs since they were named Jets, the Coyotes and their special teams decided they wanted it and forced a Game Seven on goals by Lauri Korpikoski (short handed), Mathieu Schneider (power play), Radim Vrbata (power play), Wojtek Wolski, and Taylor Pyatt (power play). Detroit scored only twice with Brad Stuart and Darren Helm.

GAME SEVEN: DETROIT 6 at PHOENIX 1 - April 27 | Highlights | Photos
Detroit sure made a statement in Game Seven, dispatching the Coyotes in grand fashion in front of their hopeful fans, ending Phoenix's magical season and advancing to Round Two. After a scoreless first, Detroit exploded in the second with two goals from Datsyuk and one each from Lidstrom and Stuart, Phoenix's Vernon Fiddler in between them. Then they added salt to the wound with tallies from Bertuzzi and Lidstrom in the third.

Red Wings win series 4 games to 3.

Eastern Conference

#1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens

The Hapless Habs, after barely squeaking into the "second season" were up against the mighty Washington Capitals and Alex Ovechkin. But Montreal, facing long odds, was up for the task.

GAME ONE: MONTREAL 3 at WASHINGTON 2 (OT) -April 16 | Highlights | Photos
The 8th-seeded Habs stunned D.C. and their fans, winning when Tomas Plekanec rifled a shot past former Montreal goalie Jose Theodore at 13:19 of overtime. Alexander Ovechkin didn't even get a shot on goal in this tilt, his team getting tallies from Jose Corvo and Nicklas Backstrom. Michael Cammalleri and Scott Gomez got the other goals for Montreal.

GAME TWO: MONTREAL 5 at WASHINGTON 6 (OT) -April 17 | Highlights | Photos
In this high-scoring affair, this time it was Washington who won it in overtime to even up the series. John Carlson scored the game-tying goal with just 81 seconds left in regulation and Backstrom scored 31 seconds into overtime to finish off his first career hat trick for the win. Eric Fehr and, finally, Alex Ovechkin had the other two Washington goals. Montreal went up 2-0 in the first with Brian Gionta and Andrei Kostitsyn and later got tallies from Kostitsyn again... and again... and then one from Tomas Plekanec.

GAME THREE: WASHINGTON 5 at MONTREAL 1 -April 19 | Highlights | Photos
Capitals looked like the #1 seed again, taking Game Three and the series lead. They chased Montreal goalie Jaroslav Halak to the bench by scoring three goals on six shots in the first 8:33 of the second. Carey Price replaced Halak and just over five minutes later Ovechkin - from his knees - scored on him. Washington's netminder Semyon Varlamov, getting his first start in the series, made 26 saves. Boyd Gordon (shorthanded), Brooks Laich, Eric Fehr, and Ovechkin were the goal scorers in the second for Washington, and they got one more in the third from Matt Bradley. Montreal's lone goal came on the power play from Tomas Plekanec early in the third.

GAME FOUR: WASHINGTON 6 at MONTREAL 3 -April 21 | Highlights | Photos
Things looked all but wrapped up for the Caps after routing the Habs again and taking a 3-1 series lead. The game was actually mostly dominated by Montreal until late in the second, who were up 2-1 on goals from Michael Cammalleri and Brian Gionta (after Ovechkin had given the Caps a 1-0 lead). However, the beginning of the momentum shift was Mike Knuble scoring a shorthanded tying tally with seconds left to play in the second. Then the Caps took over in the third with goals from Ovechkin, Chimera, and two empty-netters by Knuble and Backstrom. Dominic Moore backhanded one in for Montreal with a minute and change left.

GAME FIVE: MONTREAL 2 at WASHINGTON 1 -April 23 | Highlights | Photos
Montreal wasn't ready to go golfing yet. They rebounded, Halak made 37 saves, and their two goals from Cammalleri and Travis Moen in the first 7:01 of the game proved to be enough. Ovechkin scored the lone goal for the Caps.

GAME SIX: WASHINGTON 1 at MONTREAL 4 -April 26 | Highlights | Photos
Joroslav Halak, with his 53 saves, and the eighth-seeded Habs avoid elimination yet again and tied the series. Cammalleri scored twice in the first for Montreal, who later added two more goals in the third from Maxim Lapierre and Tomas Plekanec (empty-netter). Eric Fehr scored the lone goal for the Caps in the third.

GAME SEVEN: MONTREAL 2 at WASHINGTON 1 -April 28 | Highlights | Photos
The Canadiens finished off an impossible mission to make Tom Cruise jealous, winning Game Seven and knocking off Ovechkin and the first-seeded Capitals. Halak was the hero again (and again the villain for Washington), making 41 saves to send their opponents golfing. They became the first 8th seeded team in history down 3-1 to win a playoff series. Marc-Andre Bergeron scored on a 4-on-3 power play with 29 seconds left in the first and Dominic Moore's goal with 3:36 left in the game was the game and series winning tally. Washington's Brooks Laich finally got one past Halak with a few minutes left but it wasn't enough to avoid spending the summer crying in their... Caps.

Canadiens win series 4 games to 3.

#2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers

The "Broad Street Bullies" despite their rough and toughness faced a devil of a time against New Jersey. Would the mighty Martin Brodeur shoot them down?

GAME ONE: PHILADELPHIA 2 at NEW JERSEY 1 -April 15 | Highlights | Photos
Brian Boucher, the veteran Flyers goalie in his second season in the City of Brotherly Love, was the difference when he turned aside 23 shots to help lead the Flyers to a 2-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils in Game 1. Mike Richards, with a goal and assist, and Chris Pronger with the other Flyers goal helped him get the win. An unlucky bounce ended his shutout bid with just 2:43 remaining when Travis Zajac ripped a shot that bounced off of teammate d-man Ian Laperriere's skate and into the net.

GAME TWO: PHILADELPHIA 3 at NEW JERSEY 5 -April 17 | Highlights | Photos
The linemate trio of Zach Parise, Dainius Zubrus and Patrik Elias combined for 2 goals and 6 points to help the Devils tie up the series. Elias's three assists, Ilya Kovalchuk's goal and 3 points and goalie Martin Brodeur's 26 save performance rounded out the devilish win. Colin White scored the other tally for New Jersey while Philly got goals from Arron Asham, Claude Giroux and Chris Pronger.

GAME THREE: NEW JERSEY 2 at PHILADELPHIA 3 (OT) -April 18 | Highlights | Photos
Daniel Carcillo scored the biggest goal of his career taking a feed from Mike Richards and scoring his first of the postseason 3:35 into overtime to send the Flyers to a 3-2 victory. It was all power play in the first, man-advantage tallies from New Jersey's Brian Rolston and then Philly's Claude Giroux. Then the Flyers took a 2-1 lead from Mike Richards in the second, but Brian Rolston scored yet another power play goal later that period to knot things up.

GAME FOUR: NEW JERSEY 1 at PHILADELPHIA 4 -April 20 | Highlights | Photos
Brian Boucher snuffed 30 shots and Jeff Carter scored his first... and second goals of the playoffs, with Danny Briere also scoring a goal and an assist, to help the Flyers take a 3-1 series lead. It was New Jersey that drew first blood, though, on a power play goal from Ilya Kovalchuk in the first. Daniel Carcillo also scored for Philly.

GAME FIVE: PHILADELPHIA 3 at NEW JERSEY 0 -April 22 | Highlights | Photos
Whodda thunk that 11 days after being the last team to qualify for the playoffs that the Flyers would top the second-seeded Devils in five games? That's what they did, shutting out New Jersey to go to Round Two. Boucher was perfect, turning aside all 28 shots he faced, and Philly got a goal from Danny Briere and two from Claude Giroux.

Flyers win series 4 games to 1.

#3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins

Boston had a tough time making the post season and they were looking to make the most of it against some of New York's finest - the Sabres.

GAME ONE: BOSTON 1 at BUFFALO 2 - April 16 | Highlights | Photos
Sabres netminder Ryan Miller snuffed 38 shots to help his team take Game One on the road. Thomas Vanek and Craig Rivet scored for Buffalo, with a power play tally by Boston's Mark Recchi in between.

GAME TWO: BOSTON 5 at BUFFALO 3 - April 17 | Highlights | Photos
A dominating performance by Michael Ryder, Zdeno Chara and the Bruins helped Boston even up the series. They each scored twice, March Recchi adding an empty-netter. Buffalo got goals from Tyler Myers and Matt Ellis that had put them up 2-0 in the first.

GAME THREE: BUFFALO 1 at BOSTON 2 - April 19 | Highlights | Photos
March Recchi, at 42 the oldest active NHL player, assisted on Patrice Bergeron's game-winning goal at 12:57 of the third to help Boston take the series lead. Mike Grier scored for Buffalo and Dennis Wideman scored for Boston in the first.

GAME FOUR: BUFFALO 2 at BOSTON 3 (2OT) - April 21 | Highlights | Photos
It took more than one overtime period to decide this tilt, and it was decided by... mmm... who could it be?? SATAN?! Indeed, Miroslav Satan backhanded one in at 7:41 of the second OT, making his former team the losers as Boston took the 3-1 series lead. Tim Kennedy in the first and Steve Montador in the second had put Buffalo up 2-0 but Boston rallied back on a power play tally by David Krejci and a goal by Patrice Bergeron in the third.

GAME FIVE: BOSTON 1 at BUFFALO 4 - April 23 | Highlights | Photos
Buffalo wasn't done yet! They outhit, outblocked, and - most importantly - outscored Boston to stay alive. Tallies from Adam Mair, Jason Pominville, Mike Grier, and an empty net goal from Tyler Ennis kept the series going. Johnny Boychuk on the power play got the lone goal for Boston in the third.

GAME SIX: BUFFALO 3 at BOSTON 4 - April 26 | Highlights | Photos
It was Satan again winning it for Boston, scoring the game and series-winning goal at 14:49 of the third to send Buffalo to a long, hot, hellish summer. David Krejci, Mark Recchi (power play goals), and David Krejci again also scored for Boston. Buffalo got goals from Patrick Kaleta, Nathan Gerbe, and Tomas Vanek (late in the third just to make things interesting).

Bruins win series 4 games to 2.

#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators

The Senators were voting against Sid and the Penguins from moving onto Round Two, but Captain Crosby was planning a filibuster.

GAME ONE: OTTAWA 5 at PITTSBURGH 4 -April 15 | Highlights | Photos
Peter Regin and Erik Karlsson scored goals in their NHL playoff debuts and the playoff-experienced Penguins were the losers in this Game One tilt. Wunderkind Evgeni Malkin did open up the series' scoring early in the first with a power play goal, but Ottawa rallied to grab the lead and never let it go. Chris Neil, Chris Kelly, and Jarrko Ruutu rounded out the scoring for the Sens. Malkin got another power play goal for the Penguins, with Craig Adams and Alex Goligoski rounding out their scoring. It wasn't the Crosby show that night, with Sid the Kid goal-less.

GAME TWO: OTTAWA 1 at PITTSBURGH 2 -April 17 | Highlights | Photos
Sidney Crosby came alive for Game Two, scoring a goal and assisting on Kris Letang's goal, helping the Penguins tie up the series. Heck, that son of a bitch even played goalie for a moment and made a save! Ottawa's only tally came from Peter Regin just 18 seconds into the game.

GAME THREE: PITTSBURGH 4 at OTTAWA 2 -April 18 | Highlights | Photos
Sidney Crosby had a goal and an assist, and Alexei Ponikarovsky and Bill Guerin also scored for the Penguins. Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury redeemed himself and stopped 20 of 22 shots, as the Penguins took their first series lead. Mike Fisher and Matt Cullen scored for the Senators.

GAME FOUR: PITTSBURGH 7 at OTTAWA 4 -April 20 | Highlights | Photos
Crosby and the Penguins routed the Senators to extend their lead. He scored twice and assisted on two other goals to get his team one win away from Round Two. Chris Kunitz had a goal and two assists, Maxime Talbot had a goal and an assist, and Sergei Gonchar got three assists as the Senators, who got goals from Chris Neil, Daniel Alfredsson, Matt Cullen and Jason Spezza, are on the brink. Matt Cooke and Jordan Staal also got tallies for Pittsburgh.

GAME FIVE: OTTAWA 4 at PITTSBURGH 3 (3OT) -April 22 | Highlights | Photos
Ottawa extended the series - in more ways than one - finally winning it 7:06 into the third overtime period on a pool shot from defenseman Matt Carkner that hit Penguins' Matt Cooke before going in. The Senators, who had 21 shots just in the overtime periods, scored the game's first two goals in the first - Mike Fisher (power play) and Jarkko Ruutu. But Pittsburgh rallied and had a 3-2 lead going into the third on tallies by Kris Letang (power play), Chris Kunitz, and Sidney Crosby. Peter Regin about halfway through the third tied things up.

GAME SIX: PITTSBURGH 4 at OTTAWA 3 (OT) -April 24 | Highlights | Photos
After these two clubs headed to overtime yet again, this time it was the Penguins who emerged victorious, in the game and the series. They were on the ropes though, halfway through the game, down 3-0 on Ottawa goals by Matt Cullen, Chris Neil, and Daniel Alfredsson. But the surprised Senators and stunned Ottawa crowd got a lesson in how dangerous Pittsburgh's offense was, as Matte Cooke, Bill Guerin, and Matt Cooke again erased that deficit. Then the Penguins' Pascal Dupuis ended the game and the series at 9:56 of OT.

Penguins win series 4 games to 2.


Round Two - Conference Semifinals

Western Conference

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings

It's a clash between one current juggernaut of the West with a former one (that's desperately trying to regain that title again). Will the Wings fly like they did against the higher-seeded coyotes or will the Sharks bite them like they did the Avs?

GAME ONE: DETROIT 3 at SAN JOSE 4 - April 29 | Highlights | Photos
Joe Pavelski scored two power play goals and an assist to help his Sharks to the Game One victory. Him along with Dany Heatley and Devil Setoguchi had stoked San Jose to a 3-0 lead in the first but later in the period and in the seocnd Dan Cleary and Franzen rallied for the Wings. The Sharks took a two-goal lead on Pavelski's second goal, a power play tally in the third, and they had to hold onto the lead for the win as Detroit answered right back with Brian Rafalski.

GAME TWO: DETROIT 3 at SAN JOSE 4 - May 2 | Highlights | Photos
Different game, same result, San Jose again winning 4-3 to take the 2-0 series lead. Joe Thornton finally scored his first of the playoffs, breaking a 3-3 tie with 7:23 remaining to get the win. San Jose again got two power play goals from Pavelski along with a goal from Ryane Clowe. Detroit got tallies from Pavel Datsyuk, Tomas Homlstrom, and Nicklas Lidstrom.

GAME THREE: SAN JOSE 4 at DETROIT 3 (OT) - May 4 | Highlights | Photos
In overtime, San Jose took a commanding 3-0 series lead in exciting fashion, Thornton feeding Patrick Marleau on a 2-on-1 rush to score at 7:07 of the extra period. Down 3-1 going into the third (Holmstrom, Cleary - Detroit - Devin Setoguchi - San Jose - and Henrik Zetterberg - Detroit) the Sharks tied it up on third period tallies from Joe Thornton and Logan Couture.

GAME FOUR: SAN JOSE 1 at DETROIT 7 - May 6 | Highlights | Photos
Detroit wasn't going to go down without a fight, as they roared back (still probably a tad too late) to rout the Sharks in front of their still-hopeful fans. Johan Franzen sure wasn't ready for golf, scoring no less than 4 goals to keep his team alive. The rout started in the first, with Franzen's hat trick in between goals by Detroit's Todd Bertuzzi and Valtteri Filppula. Rafalski added another in the second before San Jose scored its lone goal from Dany Heatley. Franzen scored his fourth in the third.

GAME FIVE: DETROIT 1 at SAN JOSE 2 - May 8 | Highlights | Photos
Longtime Shark Patrick Marleau scored the series and game-winning goal in the third to put away the Red Wings. Detroit's Brian Rafalski had opened up the scoring in the second but later that period Joe Thornton scored a shorty to tie things up, setting the stage for Marleau's series-winning goal. The Wings go home early for the first time since 2007, while the Sharks advance to the Conference Finals for the first time in team history.

Sharks win series 4 games to 1.

#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #3 Vancouver Canucks

The keys to this series were Canucks goalie Luongo's stud status and how well the Hawk kids would fly against the Vancouver vets.

GAME ONE: VANCOUVER 5 at CHICAGO 1 - May 1 | Highlights | Photos
Starting the series off on the right foot, Vancouver routed the 'Hawks on goals from Christian Ehrhoff, Mason Raymond, Henrik Sedin, Michael Grabner, and Kyle Wellwood. Vancouver's Roberto Luongo made 36 saves, only allowing a power play goal from Patrick Kane in the third.

GAME TWO: VANCOUVER 2 at CHICAGO 4 - May 3 | Highlights | Photos
Chicago evened up the series on a third period rally. They were down 2-0 fairly quickly into the game on early goals from Mason Raymond and Mikael Samuelsson (5-on-3 power play goal) but the 'Hawks came back with 4 unanswered goals from Brent Seabrook, Patrick Sharp (shorty), Kris Versteeg, and another one from Kane, an empty-netter.

GAME THREE: CHICAGO 5 at VANCOUVER 2 - May 5 | Highlights | Photos
Dustin Byfuglien scored a hat trick to help the 'Hawks win the game and take a 2-1 series lead. Kris Versteeg and Marian Hossa also scored for Chicago. Vancouver scored with Jannik Hansen and Alexandre Burrows.

GAME FOUR: CHICAGO 7 at VANCOUVER 4 - May 7 | Highlights | Photos
Another Chicago hat trick, this time with Johnathan Toews, helped the 'Hawks take a commanding 3-1 series lead. It was tit-for-tat in the first, Chicago's Brent Seabrook, Vancouver's Kyle Wellwood, Toews, and Daniel Sedin making it 2-2. But then it was mostly Chicago, with Toews' other two tallies and goals from Sharp, Tomas Kopecky, and Dave Bolland (empty-netter). The Canucks also got goals from Alexander Edler and Henrik Sedin.

GAME FIVE: VANCOUVER 4 at CHICAGO 1 - May 9 | Highlights | Photos
The 'Hawks just couldn't get it done in front of their home fans and put away the 'Nucks, instead letting a more composed Vancouver team stay alive on goals by Christian Erhoff, Kevin Bieksa (twice in a row) and Alexandre Burrows (empty-netter). Toews scored for Chicago.

GAME SIX: CHICAGO 5 at VANCOUVER 1 - May 11 | Highlights | Photos
Now the 'Hawks get it done, this time on enemy ice, routing the 'Canuckleheads in front of their home fans. Two early goals in the second period and then a later shorthanded insurance tally by Troy Brouwer, Kris Versteeg, and Dave Bolland, respectively, got the 'Hawks going. Vancouver's Shane O'Brien got one back early in the third but then Chicago completed the rout with Patrick Kane and then seconds later Dustin Byfuglien.

Blackhawks win series 4 games to 2.

Eastern Conference

#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens

Would Sid and the Penguins crush the last-seeded Canadiens like they were supposed to, or would the Habs continue to ride the high of knocking off the first-seeded Caps and put Pittsburgh in the pits?

GAME ONE: MONTREAL 3 at PITTSBURGH 6 - April 29 | Highlights | Photos
Pittsburgh and their power play spanked the Canadiens, showing that the Habs perhaps weren't ready for Round Two after all. Penguins coach, with how Round One went for the Caps in mind, called for a "storn in the offensive zone" and his team answered the call and brought Habs goalie Halak back down to Earth. Montreal did strike first with PK Subban in the first but then it was mostly Pittsburgh with power play tallies from Sergie Gonchar, Jordan Staal, and Kris Letang. This was followed by Craig Adams and another power play goal from Alex Goligoski and an empty netter from Bill Guerin. Montreal also got goals from Michael Cammalleri and Brian Gionta.

GAME TWO: MONTREAL 3 at PITTSBURGH  1 - May 2 | Highlights | Photos
Montreal shook off Game One and evened up the series against the defending Cup champs. Halak redeemed himself with 38 saves to get the win and only allowed Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke to strike first blood early in the first. Then it was all Habs with one by Brian Gionta and two by Michael Cammalleri.

GAME THREE: PITTSBURGH 2 at MONTREAL 0 - May 4 | Highlights | Photos
Pittsburgh wouldn't be outdone in the goalie department, this time shutting out the Habs, although Fluery only had to make 15 saves to get it. It was scoreless going into the third then suddenly Evgeni Malkin scored a power play goal just 1:16 into the period. Pascal Dupuis added an empty-netter with 15 seconds to play.

GAME FOUR: PITTSBURGH 2 at MONTREAL 3 - May 6 | Highlights | Photos
Ya just can't count the Habs out in 2010. They rallied in the game and the series to even things up again. They soared to the victory from a goal by Brian Gionta that bounced off of Kris Letang's skate and in for the winner in the third. They scored first with Tom Pyatt in the first followed by tying and go-ahead goals by Maxime Talbot and Chris Kunitz. But Maxim Lapierre tied things up early in the third shortly before Gionta's winner.

GAME FIVE: MONTREAL 1 at PITTSBURGH 2 - May 8 | Highlights | Photos
The Penguins - playing like champs again - grabbed the series lead, Pittsburgh scoring in the first period with Kris Letang and in the second with Sergei Gonchar. Fleury's bid for a second shutout in three games was ruined with 30.5 seconds remaining when Mike Cammalleri scored on a 6-on-4 advantage (Halak was pulled for the extra attacker).

GAME SIX: PITTSBURGH 3 at MONTREAL 4 - May 10 | Highlights | Photos
Michael Cammalleri scored two goals - giving him a League-best 11 - to help his unlikely 8th-seeded Canadiens team to once again force a Game Seven against, on paper at least, a vastly superior team. He scored first and fourth, with Pittsburgh goals by Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang (power play) in between. Then Joroslav Spacek and Maxim Lapierre scored go-ahead and insurance tallies from Montreal. And they needed the insurance, as Bill Guerin scored for Pittsburgh with a minute and change to go.

GAME SEVEN: MONTREAL 5 at PITTSBURGH 2 - May 12 | Highlights | Photos
The unsinkable has done the untinkable. Sid and the Penguins are left shaking their heads and thinking to golf as the underdog Habs rout them on home turf to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in 17 years. Brian Gionta (power play), Dominic Moore, Michael Cammalleri, Travis Moen (shorthanded) all scored before Pittsburgh came alive in the second with goals by Chris Kunitz and Jordan Staal. But Brian Gionta scored another power play goal in the third to rub salt in the wound.

Canadiens win series 4 games to 3.

#6 Boston Bruins vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers

Both of these teams managed to knock off higher-seeded clubs in the first round so it would be an epic dogfight between two underdogs. Would the tough-as-nails Flyers be tough enough to avoid being mauled by the Bruins?

GAME ONE: PHILADELPHIA 4 at BOSTON 5 (OT) - May 1   | Highlights | Photos
After suffering a Grade 2 concussion in Pittsburgh back in March, Boston's Marc Savard returned just in time for Game One to deliver a knockout of his own against Philly at 13:52 of OT. The goals that got Game One to overtime: Steve Begin, Patrice Bergeron (Boston), Ryan Parent (Philly), Miroslav Satan (Boston), Chris Pronger (Philly), David Krejci (Boston), Mike Richards, Danny Briere (Philly).

GAME TWO: PHILADELPHIA 2 at BOSTON 3 - May 3   | Highlights | Photos
Milan Lucic hammered home a well-timed turnaround slap shot from the right circle that beat goalie Brian Boucher with just 2:57 remaining in the third period as Boston takes a 2-0 series lead. Johnny Boychuk and Satan also scored for Boston. Mike Richards and Danny Briere scored for Philadelphia.

GAME THREE: BOSTON 4 at PHILADELPHIA 1 - May 5 | Highlights | Photos
Boston took a commanding 3-0 series lead, carried by rookie goaltender Tuukka Rask, the NHL's season leader in goals-against average and save percentage. After giving one up to Philly's Aaron Asham 2:32 into the game, he was perfect stopping the 34 other shots. Blake Wheeler, Satan, Recchi, and Bergeron scored for Boston.

GAME FOUR: BOSTON 4 at PHILADELPHIA 5 (OT) - May 7 | Highlights | Photos
Simon Gagne, coming off a foot injury, wasn't ready for golf yet, scoring his first of the playoffs in overtime for the win to keep the Flyers alive. Briere, Chris Pronger, Claude Giroux, and Ville Leino also scored for the Flyers. Marck Recchi, Michael Ryder, Milan Lucic, and Recchi again scored for Boston.

GAME FIVE: PHILADELPHIA 4 at BOSTON 0 - May 10 | Highlights | Photos
The Bruins just can't seem to put Philly away as they shut Boston out and force Game Six. Remarkably, even battling injuries to key players, the Flyers kept on flying, using backup goalie Michael Leighton, who had come back from an injury to replace Brian Boucher, who received a leg injury in a pileup in front of the crease. Ville Leino, Scott Hartnell, Simon Gagne - twice - scored for Philly.

GAME SIX: BOSTON 1 at PHILADELPHIA 2 - May 12 | Highlights | Photos
Could history be in the making? The Bruins sure don't hope so, as the Flyers force Game 7 after being down 0-3 in the series. In his first playoff start in his career, Michael Leighton made it one he'd remember, stopping 30 shots for the unlikely win. Mike Richards in the first, and Danny Briere (power play) in the second stoked Philly to a 2-0 lead. Milan Lucic scored with a minute to go in the third but Leighton and the Flyers held on for the momentous win in front of their delirious fans.

GAME SEVEN: PHILADELPHIA 4 at BOSTON 3 - May 14 | Highlights | Photos
The Flyers make history! After being down 0-3 in the series... and 0-3 in the game!... they rallied and won the game and the series! Simon Gagne was the hero again, capping both improbably rallies to break a 3-3 tie on the power play with 7:08 remaining in the game. Now they have become the first team in 35 years to win a best-of-7 series after being down 0-3, the last time it was the New York Islanders against the Pittsburgh Penguins. The only other team to do so was the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs. It looked like Boston, better late than never, was finally going to shoot down the Flyers, going up 3-0 on first-period goals by Michael Ryder (power play), Milan Lucic (2 - power play and even strengh). But before the first was out Philly's James van Riemsdyk, scoring his first-ever playoff goal, started the Flyers' rally. Then in the second the scored was tied on goals by Scott Hartnell and Danny Briere. And then of course it was Gagne's goal that broke the hearts and the spirit of the Bruins and their fans. It's going to be a very long and hot summer for them.

Flyers win series 4 games to 3.


Round Three - Conference Finals (Stanley Cup Semifinals)

Western Conference

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #2 Chicago Blackhawks
Very much unlike the Eastern Conference - very much unlike how the playoffs usually pan out in general - the top two teams in the West at the end of the regular season ended up the top-two teams in the West in the playoffs - no upsets here so far. The Sharks have been flirting with great playoff success for many years after dominating the Conference off and on for many years, and this year may finally be their year to shine. The 'Hawks, however, languished for many years at the bottom under the totalitarian rule of the late Bill Wirtz are now finally rising to the top with their talented core of youngsters. Which one will finally get to be in the Big Dance?

GAME ONE: CHICAGO 2 at SAN JOSE 1 - May 16   | Highlights | Photos
Antti Niemi made a playoff-high 44 saves to help the 'Hawks take Game One. Patrick Sharp tired the game 7:44 into the second after Jason Demers had put the Sharks up 1-0 in the first. Dustin Byfuglien scored the game-winner at 13:15 of the third.

GAME TWO: CHICAGO 4 at SAN JOSE 2 - May 18   | Highlights | Photos
With their seventh straight playoff win on the road, the 'Hawks took a 2-0 lead in the series (the last team to do that was Colorado in 1999). The Sharks are in trouble as Chicago wins with goals by Andrew Ladd, Dustin Byfuglien, Jonathan Toews (power play), and Troy Brouwer. San Jose got two goals from Patrick Marleau (one of them on the power play).

GAME THREE: SAN JOSE 2 at CHICAGO 3 (OT) - May 21   | Highlights | Photos
The Sharks are in perilous waters as Chicago wins in overtime to take a commanding 3-0 series lead. Of course in the previous round we were all reminded that it's not a guarantee for the 'Hawks, who won Game Three on Dustin Byfuglien's goal with 7:36 left in OT. Tallies by the Patricks - Marleau and Sharp - had the teams knotted at 1 in the second period. Dave Bolland put Chicago up 2-1 in the third but with only minutes to play Marleau tied the game.

GAME FOUR: SAN JOSE 2 at CHICAGO 4 - May 23   | Highlights | Photos
It's a sweep for Chicago, as Dustin Byfuglien is the hero again, scoring his third game-winner of the series with 5:55 left in the third. After the Sharks had went up 2-0 on goals by Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau they showed some bite, Marleau's short-handed tally coming after his clearing attempt knocked seven teeth out of 'Hawks defenseman Duncan Keith's mouth. Ouch! But Chicago bit back, trimming the score 2-1 on a second-period 4-on-4 goal by Brent Seabrook, and then they tied it with Dave Bolland five minutes later. Kris Versteeg put a bow on the game and the series with an empty-netter with less than a minute to go.

Blackhawks win series 4 games to 0.

Eastern Conference

#7 Philadelphia Flyers vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens
The story in the East is the very opposite of the West, the two bottom-seeded teams end up duking it out for the spot in the Finals, each team - especially the Flyers - making history to get there. How do call this bizarre set-up? Which team should win when neither of them should have even been there? Who would have more momentum, more Cinderella power?

GAME ONE: MONTREAL 0 at PHILADELPHIA 6 - May 16   | Highlights | Photos
The Flyers sure made a statement early and Halak was shallacked. Philly started their rout of Montreal just seconds shy of the 4-minute mark in the game, a power play tally by Braydon Coburn. Then they poured it on with goals by James van Riemsdyk (didn't he play Dawson? Oh wait, never mind), Danny Briere, Simon Gagne (power play), Scott Hartnell, and Claude Giroux. Michael Leighton got his first playoff shutout in just his third start, stopping all 28 Montreal shots.

GAME TWO: MONTREAL 0 at PHILADELPHIA 3 - May 18   | Highlights | Photos
The Habs are the Hab-nots, as they have yet to score a goal in this series, shut out again at the hands of Leighton and the Flyers. Maybe it's midnight and their carriage is turning back into a pumpkin. Danny Briere and Simon Gagne both scored power play goals to make it 2-0 by the end of the second and Ville Leino scored in the third. Leighton, with his second career shutout, and second in a row, snuffed all 30 shots he faced.

GAME THREE: PHILADELPHIA 1 at MONTREAL 5 - May 20   | Highlights | Photos
Ah, the carriage is back, as the Canadiens are the butt-kickers at home in Game Three, routing the Flyers this time 5-1. Tom Pyatt had a goal and an assist and Jaroslav Halak made 25 saves as the Canadiens cut their series deficit to 2-1. Michael Cammalleri, Dominic Moore, Brian Gionta, and Marc-Andre Bergeron (power play) also scored for the Habs. Philly got a tally from, who else, Simon Gagne.

GAME FOUR: PHILADELPHIA 3 at MONTREAL 0 - May 22   | Highlights | Photos
Apparently the Canadiens only win when they score in this series, shut out yet again and now down 3-1 in the series as they lose another game 3-0. Claude Giroux scored twice and Michael Leighton made 17 saves for his third shutout of the series - the first Flyer to ever achieve that feat. Ville Leino's goal was sandwiched between Giroux's tallies.

GAME FIVE: MONTREAL 2 at PHILADELPHIA 4 - May 24   | Highlights | Photos
The Canadiens proved a few things in Game Five, that they can, in fact, score in a game and lose, and also that they were indeed the eighth-seeded team in the East. Philly flies to the Stanley Cup Finals as Montreal's Cinderella Playoffs is over. They had went up 1-0 less than a minute into the game on Brian Gionta's tally, seemingly setting up another demoralizing loss for the Flyers, but Philly returned with three straight goals from Mike Richards (short handed), Arron Asham, and Jeff Carter. Scott Gomez got the Habs within a goal in the third, but Jeff Carter sealed the deal with an empty-netter with 23 seconds left.

Flyers win series 4 games to 1.


Round Four - Stanley Cup Finals

Chicago Blackhawks vs. Philadelphia Flyers

And the 2010 playoffs, which has seen its fair share of miracles and disasters, history and hay makers, comes down to this: the youthful and fast Chicago Blackhawks, one of the best teams in the league in 09-10, versus the Philadelphia Flyers, the low-seeded underdog-turned-powerhouse. Would the tough Flyers show the Chicago Kids who's boss? Would experience and grit win out over youthful vigor?

GAME ONE: PHILADELPHIA 5 at CHICAGO 6 - May 29   | Highlights | Photos
Tomas Kopecky,  who had been a scratch the previous five playoff games and was in the lineup because of an injury, scored the go-ahead goal in the third period and the Chicago Blackhawks won a wild and high-scoring Stanley Cup Finals opener. It was a sharp-angled shot that beat Brian Boucher, who had replaced chased-out Leighton, at 8:25 of the third. Danny Briere and Scott Hartnell had a goal and two assists apiece for the Flyers, in addition to tallies by Ville Leino, Blair Betts and Arron Asham. Chicago's Troy Brouwer scored two goals. Dave Bolland had a short-handed breakaway goal for the 'Hawks, who also got tallies from Patrick Sharp and Kris Versteeg.

GAME TWO: PHILADELPHIA 1 at CHICAGO 2 - May 31   | Highlights | Photos
Antti Niemi snuffed 32 Philly shots as the 'Hawks rode him and a pair of quick goals from Marian Hossa and Ben Eager late in the second period to a 2-1 victory and a 2-0 lead in the Stanley Cup Finals. Chicago's goals were only 28 seconds apart, putting the Flyers in quite a hole, who only got one goal in the third from... oh, guess who.

GAME THREE: CHICAGO 3 at PHILADELPHIA 4 (OT) - June 2   | Highlights | Photos
Claude Giroux's deflection goal 5:59 into overtime gave Philly its first victory in the Stanley Cup Finals before a record home crowd at Wachovia Center. This goal counted, as opposed to the one seemingly scored by Simon Gagne 57 seconds earlier in which the puck rang off the far post but didn't quite cross the line. Giroux's goal proved that once again, you cannot count the Flyers out in 2010. It was a back-and-forth game throughout, tit for tat, Philly's Danny Briere scoring a power play goal in the first, Duncan Keith tying it up in the second, Scott Hartnell putting Philly up again with another power play tally later, Brent Sopel tying it up, then Patrick Kane putting the 'Hawks in the lead early in the third, but then the Flyers tied it once again with Ville Leino less than a minute later.

GAME FOUR: CHICAGO 3 at PHILADELPHIA 5 - June 4   | Highlights | Photos
It was drama on the ice as usual for the Flyers as they and their fans saw a three-goal lead in the third almost evaporate by successive Blackhawks goals, but they hung on for the win to tie the series! At the end of the first it was 3-1 Flyers - Mike Richards (power play), Matt Carle, and Claude Giroux scoring for Philly, meanwhile Patrick Sharp getting the 'Hawks on the board that had made it 2-1. There was no scoring in the second but Ville Leino made it 4-1 Flyers in the third before Dave Bolland (power play) and Brian Campbell gave the Flyers' fans a fright. Jeff Carter gave them all a sigh of relief with an empty-netter.

GAME FIVE: PHILADELPHIA 4 at CHICAGO 7 - June 6  | Highlights | Photos
After their Game Five win the Chicago Blackhawks are one win away from their first Stanley Cup in 49 years. With mixed up lines they jumped to an early 3- goal lead and never looked back, their delerious fans loudly demanding the Cup! Brent Seabrook (power play), Dave Bolland, Kris Versteeg, Patrick Kane, Dustin Byfuglien (power play), Sharp again, and Byfuglien again (empty-netter) scored for Chicago. Scott Hartnell, Kimmo Timonen, James van Riemsdyk, and Simon Gagne scored for Philly.

GAME SIX: CHICAGO 4 at PHILADELPHIA 3 (OT) June 9 | Highlights | Photos
The Flyers get caned as Patrick Kane scores in overtime to win Lord Stanley's Cup for Chicago! At 4:06 into the extra period Kane fired one at Flyers goalie Michael Leighton and it trickled right through him just barely into the side of the net, making for a strange hockey moment as Kane began celebrating before the red light was on; the Flyers fans were scratching their heads for a few seconds. Even as the 'Hawks players were pouring over the boards it still wasn't officially a goal, but after a short video review, then the real celebrating began. So the Flyers were done, but they didn't go down without a fight, Scott Hartnell forcing overtime with 3:59 to play, sending Flyers fans into a frenzy. Hartnell was also the Flyers player that had tied the score 1-1 with 27 seconds left in a Chicago-dominated first period. (Dustin Byfuglien had made it 1-0 'Hawks). Then Danny Briere put the Flyers up 2-1 in the second, but Chicago tied it and took the lead with Patrick Sharp and Andrew Ladd before the second was out. But as already said, Hartnell tied it but Kane scored the weird overtime goal and now Chicago, Illinois is celebrating its first Stanley Cup in decades.

Blackhawks win series 4 games to 2

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP

Conn Smythe Trophy
most valuable player in the 2010 playoffs:
Jonathan Toews (CHI) GP: 22; G: 7; A: 22; P: 29; +/-: -1; PIM: 4.


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.