That certainly is an unwieldy title, isn't it? Be that as it may, this election, held on Tuesday, May 17th is an important event.

Madison Cawthorne, the first term Republican Congressman from western North Carolina, was defeated in a primary election by a state senator. It is unusual for incumbent congresspeople to face serious primary challengers from within their parties, but after two years in office, Cawthorne had irritated and annoyed his own party enough that they set out to replace him. Redistricting had something to do with it, as the suburban district in the hills of Western North Carolina that Cawthorne represented had been redrawn (and he had not endeared himself in the eyes of his constituents by appearing ready to skip to another district), but the main thing was, that Cawthorne had done several things to seem very opportunistic and weaselly. Like many suburbanites in the East, he was a follower of The New York President, and had tried to tap into the same vein of anger and bitterness. Meaning, he liked to act like a tough guy on Twitter. But being a tough guy on Twitter is hard when you are a suburban kid named "Madison Cawthorne". Another problem is that people had developed a tolerance to Twitter dickery and he had to boost the dose by making reference to cocaine orgies that the Republican leadership had invited him to. This obviously didn't endear him to the leadership. He also was cited for driving with a suspended license. And firearms. And saying that the president of Ukraine was a "woke thug" or whatever the fuck would get him attention.

Anyway, he got enough negative attention that he ended up getting only 32% of the vote in his primary---which was still only 1,000 votes less than the winner, Chuck Edwards. By 1,000 votes, voters in a Republican primary decided that there was such a thing as "too much" and a 27 year old kid who thought sick burns on twitter qualified him for office was the line of "too much". Edwards is probably not much different as far as ideology goes, but he is less visibly sociopathic, as far as I know, so we can count this one as a "win".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.