A U.S. nuclear submarine collided with a Japanese fishing research vessel last week. The sub was practicing an emergency ascent maneuver and collided with the boat.

This was just one among many of the 5 minute sound bites that you have heard over the last week. On the front page of your town paper, it resides on the bottom, if even on the first page at all.

The more pressing concern for most Americans is whether Colby and Jerri will have sex, or if Michael will finally kill something.

Sitting on your couch watching the news, you heard about the Concord crashing, "Oh good" you say as Tom Brokaw announces that no Americans were on the flight.

A gunman enters an office building and shoots people randomly, but "luckily" only one person died.

Two army helicopters collided and seven servicemen are left dead. "It's the army, they need to be prepared for that" you say.


They still died

You may have not known them, but
they had a family, similar to yours
they had friends, funny as yours
they were a person, and now they are no more


And all you do is sigh, and look at the clock thinking, "20 more minutes until Survivor is on."
Yes, 7 japanese people are dead and I don't care. I really don't care. Why? Because if I took the time to grieve every single tragedy that took place every day life would be unbearable. Should I feel guilty about that? Would that somehow make things better? Is that what you tried to accomplish with this writeup?

Maybe you are trying to make a point about mainstream media and how it reports disaster stories. Or maybe it's about how we are becoming more and more blasé and unable to have genuine feelings. But it comes across as a personal attack, accusing me, the reader, of not caring enough.

I know this sounds harsh and against normal decency, but why am I supposed to grieve for people who have never touched my life in any way? What should that accomplish? Who would it benefit?

Oh my God, I can't believe I responded to this.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.