My sleepy eyes stirred open, the morning was hot and fine, and the birds were singing, the day was June the 16th... my birthday!!!

I got up my first thought was that I had now actually reached double figures, I was 10 I couldn’t believe it, not nine anymore but the wonderful figure of 10, it just rolled of my tounge.

6 Months earlier

To understand while I was feeling such joy on my tenth birthday we have to travel back to the 6 months before hand. My brother had not long just started to play his drums, and because of this mum and dad got him a drum kit, which he was ecstatic with. I saw this and thought "yeah I could do something like that"

I was soon talking to my dad and he said would i like to play anything, I immediately replied with yes and then promptly said I want to learn the saxophone. This wasn’t an act of jealousy because my brother had a drum kit, this was something in which I was really interested in. In the end my dad came out with the famous phrase

I will talk to your mother...

So anyway back to my birthday, I bombed downstairs and there it was all wrapped nicely in its case, I was shaking with so much excitement that I was practically shouting at my mum and dad. Dad opened the case and revealed a Blessing student Saxophone, My eyes were just like round saucers, it was lovely and so shiny (of course I would rather have my sax scruffy and dented nowadays)

I have good memories of that saxophone which I played for most of playing life untill I upgraded to a Yamaha 32. Unfortunately on the first day I had it, we discovered that the bell of the saxophone was seriously bent in the wrong direction *sniffle* I only got to play it once.

However I was soon playing it again for practising for all i was worth, after 2 years the little sax was now full of dents, scratches, keys were falling off, and I was having a hard job of holding it together. It was dying, it had had enough and was packing and getting ready for the trip to saxophone heaven.

I have a lot to thank that saxophone for, that saxophone was the foundation for my musical career and with the position I’m in it seems it held me in good stead.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.