From the remains of underground and underappreciated shoe-gaze band Skywave, comes New York's A Place to Bury Strangers. Formed in 2003, the band have found themselves garnering fans and critical acclaim for their aggressive, wall-of-sound, psychedelic rock.

Drawing inspiration from such experimental bands as Suicide and Jesus and Mary Chain, vocalist Oliver Ackermann and co. create an enveloping sound that keeps the listener awash in guitar swirls and feedback-induced haze, while simultaneously attacking the listener with a barrage of white noise crafted to feel like being hit with a tidal wave. Mixed into these ingredients are the cold, processed beats of a drumkit and solemn, almost emotionless vocals reminiscent of an eighties goth group. This dark image is built upon further by the fact that the band's name references both the gospel of Matthew and occultist Aleister Crowley.

In his spare time frontman Ackerman creates unique guitar pedals for his company Death By Audio (Lightning Bolt, TV on the Radio, Wilco and U2 are some of the bands that Death By Audio have created effects pedals for). This should give an idea of the focal point, and therefore potential sounds, of APTBS. The guitar sound on record is worlds apart from the brutal guitar sound live. Having been described as "ear-shatteringly loud" and "jaw-dropping", A Place to Bury Strangers have certainly proved themselves capable of bestowing chaos to create an overwhelming sensory experience.

Having just released their debut album, consisting of rerecorded versions of compositions from their early, self-produced EP's, APTBS introduce touches of Ministry-esque industrial and Smiths earnestness into their bedlam. The album has so far been met with great critical response and admiration.

Members: Oliver Ackermann (guitar/vocals), Jay Space (drums) and Jono MOFO (bass)

Albums: A Place to Bury Strangers (2007) on Killer Pimp Records

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.