There are some things man was not meant to adapt to musical theatre...

From cthulhulives.org:

"In 1979 the Other Gods Theatre, a troupe of Los Angeles thespians, began production of the all-dancing, all-singing theatre extravaganza: A Shoggoth on the Roof. It is not known how or where they acquired their copy of the script, although evidence suggests it differed from the version in the possession of the HPLHS.

"For reasons not entirely known, the production failed to open and the members of the company went their separate ways. Their bold enterprise would likely have vanished into the footnotes of musical theatre history were it not for one fact. An unknown party captured a rehearsal on Super 8 movie film."

A Shoggoth on the Roof is a parody of the classic musical A Fiddler on the Roof created by the HPLHS using characters, creatures and themes from the stories of H.P. Lovecraft. Its creators have produced a rather entertaining mockumentary concerning its "mysterious" creation, which is available on their website, as well as for purchase on VCD, along with a cast recording of the songs and a libretto of the script.

If you're familiar with the works of H.P. Lovecraft, and aren't offended by a little humor at the mythos' expense, it's quite entertaining. The dialogue is silly, yet intelligently written. If I may quote the prologue:

"...here in our little village of Arkham Massachusetts you might say we all have a Shoggoth on the Roof. And I'm not speaking metaphorically."

Work was being done to put on an actual production of Shoggoth in Chicago, but plans were canceled when they received threat of legal action from the songwriters of Fiddler. The cast recording is still available as of the time of this writeup, but this will soon no longer be the case.

The songs are:

Tentacles
Arkham Dunwich
Byakhee Byakhee
Shoggoth Prayer
If I Were A Deep One
To Life
The Nightmare
Victim of Victims
Very Far From the Home I Love
Do You Fear Me
Miskatonic

Recently the creators of Shoggoth have produced a new CD entitled A Very Scary Solstice, this time parodying famous Christmas songs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.