Picture this. The year is 1964 and it’s shortly after Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his famous I have a dream speech. Somewhere deep within the bowels of the FBI building J. Edgar Hoover and his minions aren’t very happy. Something must be done to quell the tide that the speech inspired.

It’s late at night and J. Edgar is three sheets to the wind. He is adorned in a nice black teddy, a string of pearls and a pair of pumps befitting the occasion. He sits in a darkened corner of a conference room remaining silent while those who do his bidding bicker back and forth about what to do with the uppity “nigger” (their words, not mine) that is the cause of their problem.

Finally, after hours of getting nowhere, J. Edgar has had enough. Whether fueled by liquor or a sense of indignation he rises from his seat and shouts to the gathering:

”You people are a bunch of fuckin’ IDIOTS! We need to put a scare into that darkie that will cause him to shit his pants and vanish for good! While you assholes were going back and forth I came with an idea and wrote this letter. Type it up and send it to him. Don’t sign my name. If he doesn’t get the message, the shit will hit the fan."

KING,
In view of your low grade, abnormal personal behavior I will not dignify your name with a Mr. or a Reverend or a Dr. And, your last name calls to mind only the type of King such as King Henry the VIII and his countless acts of adultery and immoral conduct lower than that of a beast.
King, look into your heart. You know you are a complete fraud and a great liability to all of us Negroes. White people in this country have enough frauds of their own but I am sure they don’t have one at this time that is anywhere near your equal. You are no clergyman and you know it. I repeat you are a colossal fraud and an evil, vicious one at that. You could not believe in God and act as you do. Clearly, you don’t believe in any personal moral principles.
King, like all frauds your end is approaching. You could have been our greatest leader. You, even at an early age have turned out to be not a leader but a dissolute, abnormal moral imbecile. We will now have to depend on our older leaders like Wilkens a man of character and thank God we have others like him. But you are done. Your “honorary” degrees, your Nobel Prize (what a grim farce) and other awards will not save you. I repeat you are done/
No person can overcome facts, not even a fraud like yourself. Lend your sexually psychotic ear to the enclosure. You will find yourself and all your dirt, filth, evil and moronic talk exposed on the record for all time. I repeat – no person can argue successfully against facts. You are finished. You will find on the record for all time your filthy, dirty, companions, male and female, giving expression with you to your hideous abnormalities. And some of them pretend to be ministers of the Gospel. Satan could not do more. What incredible evilness. It is all there on the record, your sexual orgies. Listen to yourself you filthy abnormal animal. You are on the record. You have been on the record -all your adulterous acts, your sexual orgies extending far into the past. This is one but a tiny sample. You will understand this. Yes, from your various evil playmates on the east coast to (name redacted) and others on the west coast and outside the country you are on the record. King, you're done.
The American public, the church organizations that have been helping – Protestant, Catholic and Jews will now know you for what you are - an evil abnormal beast. So will others that have backed you. You are done.
King, there is only one thing left for you to do. You know what it is. You have just 34 days in which to do (this exact number has been selected for specific reason), it has definite practical significant. You are done. There is but one way out for you. You better take it before your filthy, abnormal fraudulent self is bared to the nation.

Okay, the words themselves might not have come directly from the mind of J. Edgar Hoover. I took some license with that in order to try and make the story a little more compelling. The letter is another story. According to the New York Times, this indeed was the text of a letter sent by the FBI to Martin Luther King, Jr. sometime in 1964.

We all know what happened a few years later.

If you want to read more on the FBI and MLK, I suggest reading FBI harassment of Martin Luther King Jr. which contains portions of this letter.

Sometimes I’m just plain ashamed of what people who are put in a position of power will stoop to.

I must admit though, I did take some guilty pleasure in making the some of the pipelinks.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.