They are well-disguised. You often don't notice them when you read; you just browse over the words and accept the bird or flower imagery for what it is. It doesn't horrify you in the least bit to read about how Darl is enjoying the pretty day or to study the confrontation between Hamlet and Gertrude. The Awakening seems (except for a few "naughty" scenes) to be a piece about self-reflection and social commentary.

The sexual metaphors are everywhere, and they are not at all kept in check by literary elegance. Sex in literature is no less wild or taboo than in reality; it is only less accessible when hidden beneath elegant writing. What appears to be a solitary description of simple appreciation for the surroundings is so often only a verbal manifestation of masturbation. Shakespeare is no exception (indeed, he is among the worst offenders); Hamlet goes so far as to assault his mother with sickening Oedipal motions. English teachers may exaggerate, but the truth is that writers are perverts.


Noders are perverts, too. Next time you look at a seemingly ordinary, single-layered writeup, think about what it really means.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.