DID YOU KNOW: When Greek runner Konstantinos Kenteris won gold at the 2000 Olympics for the 200-meter dash, he was the first Greek athlete to win an Olympic sprint since Dionysius of Alexandria in 269 AD.

True story! This is how the Olympic sprinting went for the Greeks after 269:

 

AD 269: Dionysus of Alexandria wins the 200-meter dash.

AD 271: Dionysus of Alexandria is in the lead when he goes off-course to chase a butterfly.

AD 473: Epimedes of Athens wins the race but is disqualified when it is discovered that he was the one who tied everyone else’s sandals together.

AD 501: Justinianos of Cydonia runs 200 meters in the opposite direction. Despite this mishap, all the spectators agree that he reached the -200M mark before anyone else reached 200M.

AD 995: Basilos of Dyrrachium nearly finishes in fourth place but is beaten out by a souvlaki vendor who got onto the course by accident.

AD 1171:  Entire Greek team trips at the start.

AD 1454: Greek team boycotts the Olympic Games and forgets to tell their coach, who is forced to do all the races on his own and manages to come in third in the 100-meter dash. 

AD 1556: Alexios of Gördes is in second place when a wasp lands on him and he instinctively smacks it, the resulting sting causing him to trip and fall, thus tripping up everyone behind him. In the ensuing scrum, Beyzid of Ankara manages to reach the end while everyone else is still trading blows.

AD 1739: Constantinos of Izmir is in last place when everyone in front of him trips and falls, putting him in first place, until he also trips and falls.

AD 1830: Andreas Kolokotronis comes in first place with a recorded time of two seconds, which leads the Olympic Council to investigate the matter and discover that Kolokotronis had ants in his pants. This is deemed a performance-enhancing substance and Kolokotronis is disqualified. 

AD 1968: George Papadopoulos forces his way onto the Greek team and manages to come in second in the 100-meter dash.

AD 2000: Konstantinos Kenteris wins the 200-meter dash.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.