Television show from the 80's staring Jan-Michael Vincent as Stringfellow Hawke, Ernest Borgnine as Dominic Santini, Jean Bruce Scott as Caitlin O'Shannessy, and Alex Cord as Michael Coldsmith Briggs III (Archangel). It's about a chopper that String and Dominic fly on missions for the Firm. They stole the helicoptor but agree to run missions for the Firm until String's brother is returned from the Far East. Archangel is their contact with the firm.

As a trivia note, the Airwolf helicopter was actually a Bell 222 painted black. And the baddies usually flew around in a Boeing MD-500 Defender.

Airwolf rode the short-lived, mid-80s wave of 'one man in a superpowered vehicle' shows, such as 'Knight Rider', 'Street Hawk' and 'Blue Thunder'. It was produced by Donald P. Bellisario, who was also responsible for 'Magnum, P.I.', 'Quantum Leap' and 'JAG'. He also wrote the distinctive, original soundtrack.

There were four series - the first three featured Jan-Michael Vincent and Ernest Borgnine flying around in a helicopter, and were quite expensive. The fourth series was produced in Canada on a shoestring budget and featured no famous actors at all, lots of stock footage, and not a great deal of the Airwolf helicopter itself.

The programme was more serious in tone than its contemporaries. Whereas The A-Team was almost a parody of itself, Airwolf had pretentions to being serious drama. Unfortunately, when the helicopter was not on screen, neither Jan-Michael Vincent nor the scripts were particularly engaging or memorable. Still, the hot helicopter-on-helicopter action was exciting, and it was fun spotting all the explosion sound effects that were being re-used from 'Battlestar: Galactica'.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.