The United States television producer was born to David and Pearl Spelling on April 22, 1925 in Dallas, Texas. He attended Southern Methodist University, where in addition to his work as a playwright at the school, he was a member of the cheerleading squad and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree. He wrote scripts in the 1950's before producing the detective series Burke's Law in 1963. Spelling then became a producer for Four Star Productions. Thomas-Spelling Productions was formed when he went in partners with Danny Thomas.

In 1953, he married actress Carolyn Jones. The couple divorced in 1965. He is currently married to Carol Jean "Candy" Spelling. They were married in November of 1968. Candy is the mother of Tori Spelling and Randy Spelling, the two children for which the famous producer is often criticized for casting in his productions.

In 1972, he formed Aaron Spelling Productions and went in partners with Leonard Goldberg to form Spelling-Goldberg Productions. In 1986, his company went public and formed Spelling Entertainment Inc, in which, as of 1995, he is vice-chairman. The Hollywood magnate is also chairman of Spelling Television, a subsidiary.

Once he got started as a producer, he just kept on going. Even when he had a flop on his hands, he would turn right around and try again. Not one to be easily discouraged, his persistence would pay off well. Today, Aaron Spelling is known by just about everyone. He's given viewers action, glamour, romance, scandalous sex and fantasy.

Mr. Spelling is an expert at creating television shows that focus on sex, romance and improbable plot lines. This idea of his seems to work well. There are those who enjoy what Spelling has to offer. Especially with today's deluge of reality shows, Spelling's productions offer a welcome diversion for many.

If a man were to be hated for having the ability to take a mere thought and make it into a hit that makes millions of dollars and stars out of actors and actresses that may otherwise go unnoticed, Aaron Spelling would be the most hated man alive. The man's thoughts and ideas make entertainment, money and stars.

There is one drawback to being cast in an Aaron Spelling production. In today's Hollywood, when a star is hot, everyone wants them because a hot star is an easy sell. After having a taste of success, sucking it up and going back to acting class isn't an easy thing to do. Popular shows do come to an end. An actor that hasn't properly prepared for that end is doing themselves a great disservice.

Unlike the actors that are cast in his productions, Aaron Spelling's fame is far from fleeting. He's been in the industry for decades and has a lot to show for it. His home is referred to as "The Manor," a mansion located in Bel Air that spans six acres with over one hundred rooms. It includes a bowling alley, swimming pool, gymnasium, tennis court and a screening room. He bought the property in 1983, demolished the house that had belonged to Bing Crosby and built his own dynasty.

Aaron Spelling is responsible for shows like Charlie's Angels, Fantasy Island, Hotel, Love Boat, Mod Squad, Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place. Among the ones that didn't make it were Nightingales, 2000 Malibu Road, The Heights, Malibu Shores, Models Inc and Pacific Palisades.

While those shows are now history, Charmed made its debut in October of 1998 on the WB. While the show is entertaining to some, it does leaves viewers with some erroneous ideas about wicca and witchcraft. Charmed is fantasy. Aaron Spelling is not in the business of educating. While some of his shows may address some timely issues along the way, his primary goal is to entertain viewers.

For some, the name Aaron Spelling is synonymous with television shows of glitz, glamour and trash. 7th Heaven, which also airs on the WB proves otherwise. This show came on the air in 1996 and was a refreshing change from what viewers have come to expect from Spelling.

In a 2001 interview for Time Magazine with Joel Stein, Stein asked Spelling if the show was a last-minute play to avoid going to hell. Spelling replied, "When the concept came up, I had the same question: Why's a Jewish kid from Texas doing a series about a minister?"

Some people like his work, others don't. Be that as it may, Aaron Spelling will continue to do what has served him well for decades. For those who enjoy what he has to offer, the fall season isn't far off. Viewers will soon find out what surprises he may have in store.

Sources: http://www.ask.com/
http://ask.elibrary.com
http://www.eonline.com
http://www.imdb.com
http://www.parentstv.org/
http://www.tvtome.com/




Note: Research for this node resulted in four sites listing three different years for Mr. Spelling's birth. According to imdb.com and tvtome.com, he was born in 1923, eonline says 1925 and infoplease.com says 1928. I decided to go with eonline.com, the site I believe to be most reliable. Further research at askjeeves.com revealed a letter written to Red Skelton in 1944 by nineteen-year-old Corporal Aaron Spelling, serving in World War II. In the letter, the future TV producer thanked Skelton for sending him jokes for an Army Air Forces fundraising show.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.