Abada-Capoeira is an amazing form of dance, music, and fighting. Abada can be slow, graceful, and precise: spins, flips, and holds. Moves often associated with break dancing, all originated from Capoeira. Abada can be quick, powerful, and deadly: deceptive movements, lightning fast kicks from any position, all while nimbly avoiding all attacks. The true soul of Abada is the music and song: the cry of the berimbau, the beat of the atabaque, and the clash of the pandeiro guide a capoierstas as they play in the rode.

Created by Mestra Camisa, the roots of Abada draw on the culture, traditions, and history of Angola Capoeira. How people were stolen from African, enslaved in Brazil, and struggled for freedom. Capoeira exists to fight the chains of slavery.Mestra Bimba saved Capoeira from extinction and created a place for it in the modern world. He sculpted his own from of Capoeira, Capoeira Regional, to be strong, fast, and efficient, but the ties to Angola faded.

Mestra Camisa felt Angola is not in tune with the present state of the world, but Regional ignores the rich heritage of Angola. This is how Abada-Capoeira was born. Taking elements from Angola and Regional, Mestra Camisa crafted a style that stresses the importance of fighting, music, and singing. When asked "what is Abada-Capoeira", Mestra Camisa replied "Abada-Capoeira is not just music, it is not just song, and it is not just fighting. It is this combination that makes Abada-Capoeira".

The goal of training in Abada-Capoeira is to promote cultural and human values based on respect, socialization, and freedom. Even though Capoeira was born from slavery and oppression, the hope is it will help bring hope and peace.

Abada has spread from its humble roots in Brazil to being the largest Capoeira organization in the world. There is groups in every continent, making it not uncommon for students to visit different groups.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.