Absolut Vodka is a Swedish brand of vodka, which is instantly recognizable due to its highly effective advertising. Absolut is now the 5th most popular brand of spirits worldwide. Next to the plain Absolut brand, it is also available as Absolut Kurant, Absolut Mandrin, Absolut Peppar and Absolut Citron.

The Absolut brand originated in Sweden in the 19th century. It is still distilled in Ahus, Sweden. It took until 1979 for the first bottle of Absolut to be exported to the US.

The original idea for the clear bottle and clear label came from Swedish advertising executive Gunnar Broman, who was inspired by the traditional clear bottles of Aquae Vitae. Initially, the Americans were unimpressed with the design, because they felt it looked like medicine.

Two years after its lackluster debut in America, Absolut switched to a different advertising agency (TBWA Worldwide, now TBWA Chiat/Day). Andy Warhol agreed to paint a picture of the Absolut bottle. Sales quintupled after the "Absolut Warhol" ad campaign in 1981.

Since Warhol, the advertising for Absolut has been consistently refreshing and artistic. The brand has worked with such artists as Keith Haring, Helmut Newton, Tom Ford, Gianni Versace, John Galliano and Helmut Lang.

Regardless of all this artsy-fartsy stuff, Absolut Vodka is also one of the best brands of liver-destroyers on Earth, mixable, drinkable, and just plain good stuff.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.