This is something I've thought about for some time now. I'm not saying that any of this is new; other people have probably said what I am about to say before. But these are my own thoughts and I'm noding them as food for your thoughts. Okay, here goes.

Organizations do not exist. No, they don't really exist in the physical sense. The people who make up an organization exist, assets owned/used by the people in the name of the organization exist, but the organization itself is just an abstraction, a social convention. Since the concept of organizations often is a useful one we accept it as reality but tend to forget that it doesn't really exist outside our own heads.

This way of thinking can be extended to countries as well, for what exactly is a country if not a large organization? If we accept that thought it becomes clear that countries do not really exist either, they too are just social conventions. The 'United States of America' does not really exist, 'Europe' does not really exist, 'Japan' does not really exist. Not in the same way as the chair I'm sitting in while typing this exists. The chair is real in a physical sense, but 'Europe' is a notion shared by billions of people because it is a convenient abstraction.

From this follows that war is impossible, for how can there be wars if there are no countries to wage them? Uniforms exist (it would be futile to deny that), people (mostly men) who wear these uniforms exist, and people wearing uniforms tend to do terrible things to other people. Why? Because they accept the concept of 'countries' as real, instead of seeing it as merely a convention one can abandon when it outlives its usefulness. They do not have to take personal responsibility for their actions, because those actions are committed in the name of a 'higher cause', and responsibility is transferred to the shared social convention behind that cause.

Sometimes, abstraction is your enemy.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.