Accidentally In Love is the Counting Crows' newest song, commissioned especially for Shrek 2.

Written by Adam Duritz, the song almost never was. Adam was given the first few minutes of Shrek 2, featuring Shrek and Fiona's honeymoon, and asked to write a song to fit it; he almost called them back after a few months to tell the producers he couldn't write it. But then, he said in an interview for VH1 Goes Inside: Shrek, "I had the fortune to write the song between the time I fell in love and when it all started going to hell."*

How much longer will it take to cure this
Just to cure it cause I can't ignore it if it's love (love)
Makes me wanna turn around and face me but I don't know nothing 'bout love

Accidentally In Love relates the confusion and euphoria of falling in love, and realizing you have no control over how you feel, whether it's the right time, whether it's the right person.

Well baby I surrender to the
Strawberry ice cream never ever end of all this love
Well I didn't mean to do it but there's no escaping your love

While best known for his melancholy lyrics, Accidentally In Love is an excellent example of Adam Duritz' writing, with a simple, fast, upbeat tune and heartfelt lyrics that can be related to by almost anyone. Accidentally In Love stands out from most Counting Crows songs by giving a feeling of happily accepting what you're given.

Come on, Come on
Move a little closer
Come on, Come on
I want to hear you whisper
Come on, Come on
Settle down inside my love

CST Approved

*paraphrased from watching said episode... I can't remember his exact wording.


Sources:
Accidentally in Love, Counting Crows, © 2004 Geffen Records
VH1 Goes Inside: Shrek

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.