(1971- ) Australian cricketer, current Australian wicketkeeper and vice-captain. Gilchrist is the world's premier 'keeper-batsmen. Originally from country New South Wales, Adam Gilchrist made the move to Perth to gain a state team position in the year 1995. Since then, Gilchrist has gained a reputation as an exciting, strokeplaying batsman and an acrobatic wicketkeeper.

Gilchrist broke into the Australian one-day side in 1998 and quickly got promoted to open the innings with Mark Waugh. Gilchrist carried his Australian domestic reputation into the world arena becoming one of the most feared one day batsmen because of his ability to destroy quality bowling attacks with the greatest of ease.

A few years after his one-day initiation, Adam Gilchrist gained a spot in the Australian test team. He was a member of the record breaking Australian side who had 16 straight wins. Gilchrist's batting adds another dimension to an already powerful Australian Test batting lineup. With an average of 60, he is the best number 7 bat in the world, as seen in South Africa earlier this year when he scored a tremendous 204 not out in less than 250 balls. Commonly known as Gilly, Adam Gilchrist is always seen on the field encouraging and supporting his team mates. One of Australia's favourite sporting stars.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.