Adoor Gopalakrishnan, the internationally acclaimed Malayalam film director and script writer was born on July 3, 1941 in Adoor, Kerala, India.

'Swayamvaram' was his directorial debut. Though Swayamvaram was a rejection of all the popularistic methods used by filmmakers and was radically different, the film was rejected by the mass. But a minority which was eagerly looking for a change in the Film Industry welcomed his films.

Adoor Gopalakrishnan played a major role in the constitution of "Chalachitra", the first Film Society in Kerala and "Chitralekha", Kerala's first Film Co-operative Society for film production. These movements assisted the upcoming trend of good films in Malayalam.

The national award for Best director has gone to Adoor Gopalakrishnan four times(1972, 84, 87, 89). His Eighth film 'Kathapurushan' won President's Gold medal for the Best film. He won the prestigious British Film Institute award for his film 'Elippathayam'(1981). He was awarded the International Film Critics prize(FIPRESCI) five times. He was honoured by the 'Padmashri' title by the Indian Government in 1984. Adoor has directed about 25 short films including The Myth, Krishnanaattam, Kalamandalam Gopi and Koodiaattam.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.