Last month, my partner and I set out to adopt a canary as the newest family member. We looked in the phone book for places that hand-raised birds, and asked for recommendations from our friend who raised cockatoos, and created a list of places, numbered in order of importance.

We decided to go to the Humane Society first, since we both believe that rescued animals are the best animals. Just to see what other animals they had available, we went into the dog section. We walked past several heart-warming yet inactive doggies, but little did we know, as soon as we turned the corner there would be the most beautiful and exotic puppy that would run to the window and scream, "Take me home with you!!!!"

We had to carry around a pager, which would signal whenever there was a counselor available to discussion adoptions. At that precise moment, pager began to beep. We took a fast pace to the front counter and were the first ones in line to speak with a counselor.

Very calm and composed-like we asked about adopting #LL 405. The counselor grabbed the dog's files and took us in the back so we could interact with #LL 405.

When our counselor, Tammy, opened the door to the kennel, #405 ran up to me and fell in my arms. I took this as sign of endearment, however, #405 was picked up for being a stray and barely had any muscles in her legs due to malnurishment and had also just undergone "The Surgery" two days before. It was at this point that the name Sophie, popped up in my head.

Sopie was alert, responsive, and quickly learned the sit command during our 15 minute introduction with each other. My partner and I took one look at each other and knew that Sophie was reason we went to the Humane Society.

We stressed our interest to Tammy, our counselor and in return, she said that she thought we would be the perfect match for Sophie and we could begin the adoption process.

The adoption process at the Humane Society takes about 15 minutes and you must adhere to these requirements:

• You must be at least 18 years of age.
• You must be able to provide shelter, care and humane treatment to the adopted animal.
• All of the people who will be living animal must be present.
• You are adopting the animal for yourself and not as a gift for another person.
• If the animal is an unaltered dog or cat, you agree to have the animal spayed or nuetered within 3 months.
• You must have the animal innoculated against rabies and have the animal liscensed according to State Law.

You must provide:

• A picture ID with current address
• A copy of your lease (if you rent) or your landlord's name and phone number. (This is to make sure your building allows animals.)

You are then asked several questions regarding future treatment of the dog, supplied with a care folder, pay a nominal fee, and you are on your way home (or the nearest pet store!).

Back in Tammy's office, we tried to place the breed of Sophie's exotic look. She is tri-colour, the primary colour being black, the secondary colour being white and the tertiary colour, tan. The files said she was a Shepard mix, and that much was obvious, but what else did she have in her?

All three of us, rifled through a dog book and decided that she most resembled a Sheltie, Italian Greyhound, Whippet, Border Collie, and oddly enough, a Dingo! I guess we'll never know.

We have now had Sophie about a month, the vet determined that she is about eight months old (as opposed to the original 2 year estimate), and she has gained some weight and muscle mass. Her emotional development is going excellent, but there is still some work to be done all around!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.