After The Gold Rush (July 1970, Reprise 2283)
Neil Young & Crazy Horse with Greg Reeves, Steve Stills, and Nils Lofgren
  1. Tell Me Why - 2:54
  2. After The Gold Rush - 3:45
  3. Only Love Can Break Your Heart - 3:05
  4. Southern Man - 5:41
  5. Till The Morning Comes - 1:17
  6. Oh, Lonesome Me - 3:47
  7. Don't Let It Bring You Down - 2:56
  8. Birds - 2:34
  9. When You Dance I Can Really Love - 3:44
  10. I Believe In You - 2:24
  11. Cripple Creek Ferry - 1:34

Produced by:
Neil Young & David Briggs with Kendall Pacios

Primary Musicians:
Neil Young: vocals, guitars, piano, harmonica, vibes
Danny Whitten: guitars, vocals
Billy Talbot: bass
Ralph Molina: drums, vocals
Greg Reeves: bass
Steve Stills: guitars, vocals
Nils Lofgren: guitars, piano, vocals
Jack Nitzsche: piano

Non-album songs from this period:

Back to Neil Young

Recorded after Young's breakthrough solo record "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere," After The Gold Rush broke out in new directions, showcasing Young's transformation beyond his origins in Buffalo Springfield, as well as being his first solo disc after joining Crosby, Stills and Nash (CSN).

Using imagery combining elements of psychedelia and cultural, political observations and love songs he created a cohesive and worthy whole (and some of AOR/Classic Rock radio's best known songs.

From the laid back sunny sounds of "Til The Morning Comes" to the scathing criticism of "Southern Man," to the wearied sadness of "Tell Me Why" the disc moves out of the end of the free love 60s and into the more unknown qualities that would mark the begining of the 70s.

For anyone wishing to discover why Neil Young is one of the only musicians from his era still considered vital and important, making worthy music more than 30 years latter in 2001, get After The Gold Rush and surrender to one of the key players in rock n' roll.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.