What You Get

A big big prize coveted by poets. The prize carries a cash award of $5,000 and publication by the University of Pittsburgh Press in the Pitt Poetry Series under its standard royalty contract. The winner will be announced in the fall; no information about the winner is released before the fall announcement. The Starrett Prize is a venue for first-book poetry manuscripts.

The volume of manuscripts received prevents the Press from offering critiques or entering into correspondence about manuscripts other than the one chosen for publication. Manuscripts submitted to the contest will not be returned. Please keep a copy of the manuscript.

Can You Get IT?

The award is open to any poet writing in English who has not had a full-length book published previously. "Full-length book" is defined as a volume of 48 or more pages published in an edition of 750 or more copies. Books whose publication costs have been borne by their authors are excluded from this definition. Employees and students of the University of Pittsburgh are not eligible for the award.

How To Get It!

Each manuscript must be accompanied by a check or money order in U.S. dollars for $20.00 payable to "University of Pittsburgh Press.

Please send one copy of your manuscript on good quality white paper, with no less than 48 and no more than 100 typescript pages. Clean, legible photocopies are acceptable. Your name and address and/or phone number should be on your title page. These are our only format requirements.

Manuscripts must be received during March and April 2001. That is, they must be postmarked on or after March 1 and on or before April 30. The address for submissions is:

Manuscripts being considered by other publishers are allowed, but if a manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere, please notify the Press, in writing.

Agnes Lynch Starrett Poetry Prize
University of Pittsburgh Press
3347 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15261

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.