aka King Zog I. Ahmed Bey Zogu was president of Albania from 1925 to 1928 and king from 1928 to 1939.

Zogu, born in 1895, worked hard to become king. He had to fight off all sorts of Balkan adversaries to consolidate control of Albania after World War II. However, once things had settled down and he'd crowned himself (coronation complete with an outfit of rose-colored breeches, gold spurs, and a gold crown waying 5/8 of a pound), the main things left to do were to stay in power, stay alive, make an heir. Zog tried for the first two objectives by lying low; while Tiran (the capital) didn't have any night clubs anyway, Zog apparently spent most of his days at home playing poker and smoking up to 150 perfumed cigarettes per day. Unfortunately, this isn't much of a way to meet girls. None of the other European royal families cared to send a mail order bride, so Zog's sisters stepped in. They found a penniless countess selling post cards at a museum, and Zog was in love. They were married in 1938.

While Zog's reign was awfully peaceful for Albania, all good things must come to an end. In 1939, Benito Mussolini, a former friend, ousted Zog. Zog went into exile in Egypt, eventually moving to the Long Island. His hopes of returning to the crown after the war were dashed by Enver Hoxha's 1945 establishment of a communist republic in Albania.
King Zog I died in 1961, in Suresnes, France.


references: britannica.com and http://www.frosina.org/infobits/kingzog.shtml

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.