"Hinneni!"

The perfect answer to a simple question.

"And they heard the voice of HaShem, God, walking in the garden toward the cool of the day; and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of HaShem, God, amongst the trees of the garden. And HaShem, God, called unto the man, and said unto him: 'Where art thou?' And he said: 'I heard Thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.'

And He said: 'Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?'" (Genesis 3:8-11)

I am left wondering what this conversation sounded like.

Adam's plan backfires. He tried hiding, he bending telling the truth, so he'll have to blame Eve. But what man in hiding discloses his position? The heaven's cry out "Aieka?" and Adam confesses everything, "Hinneni!"

Well you can't hide from God but you can pass the buck.

The common question that follows this verse goes like this, "why does God (who knows EVERYTHING) have to ask where Adam is?"

Well like any good question there are several answers. One: to give the two a chance to 'fess up. The second is to teach us something. God knows where Adam is, but the fact that he replies says a lot. A man in a foxhole doesn't give his position to the enemy. Aieka is not related to geography, and rightly so Adam doesn't give up his position, but he does confess his shame. Every person is obligated to ask himself where he is, it is the first step towards self evaluation.

"The Lord saw that he had turned to see, and God called to him from within the thorn bush, and He said, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, 'Hinneni!'" (Exodus 3:4)

It was love at first sight. God didn't even have to ask.

"Here I am! FIND ME! "

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.