Three nights ago I was at a disco..."

In 1972, after riding high on the success of his hit "I Gotcha" prolific Southern Soul singer-songwriter Joe Tex (the stage name of Joseph Arrington, Jr.) decided to retire from the music business. He changed his name to Yusuf Hazziez and toured as a spiritual lecturer.

"and this big fat woman bumped me on the floor"

The ascetic lifestyle apparently didn't entirely appeal to Tex (who once famously had a feud with James Brown that ended up with Brown taking shots at Tex in a nightclub) and he returned to making music in 1975. In 1977, he released "Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)"

"She wanted to bump some more, but I told her no"

The song is the crudely comedic lament of a man who attempted to do "the bump" -- a 70s dance in which participants bumped their hips in time on every other beat of the music, often against their partners-- with a vigorous and robust woman of size whose enthusiasm for the dance caused him injury.

Somebody take her! I don't want her.
She done hurt my hip, she done knocked me down.

The song was a surprise hit, reaching #12 on the Billboard Hot 100. It was a popular disco song, and for years afterwards trotted out by quirky DJs who played it at weddings, family reunions, and graduation parties for slightly tipsy great aunts and great uncles to mortify the younger generations by enthusiastically revisiting the fad dances of their youth. It was Tex's last R&B top ten hit, and a strange coda to a career that included Southern Soul classics like "Hold What You've Got" and "A Sweet Woman Like You."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.