Casual, perhaps ritual acknowledgement of the primitive conviction that the possible surpasses the actual.

"She understands me. Tequila is born with the worm." - Alas

Alas is a webcomic by cartoonist Ian Ton.

It stars a young goth named Alas, who lives in DC, is a clerk/DJ for the KMFD-FM radio station, and hosts a gothic/industrial radio show. Alas is also the vocalist and bassist for a band, Red Over White.

Other prominent characters in Alas include:

Alas' best friend, Nic, who met Alas at the final concert of Siouxsie & the Banshees in '95 and owns a speciality boutique called The Trappings & The Suits. Nic is also the keyboardist for Red Over White.

Trebor, another of Alas' friends. Trebor is a graduate student, an intern for the Samuel Dee Funeral Home, and the drummer for Red Over White. He spends much of his time at the club, and, despite his goth-as-fuck credentials, is unable to find a date.

Dee, director of the Samuel Dee Funeral Home, Trebor's employer, and one of the main sponsers for Alas' radio show. Dee is slightly perplexed by the gothic subculture, but generally tolerates Alas and her friends.

Dig, goth club DJ and archenemy of Alas. Dig speaks entirely in Siouxsie & the Banshees lyrics, much to the ire of Steven Severin.

Renfield, Alas' pet, and the world's first sentient spider. Thinks with his highly mutated liver, which would probably explain his obsession with Tom Waits. Renfield once made the grave mistake of hiding in one of Alas' boots, leaving Renfield dead and Alas in a coma.

Renfield II, the offspring of Renfield. Renfield II was much like his predecessor, although much more wary of boots. Despite this, he still met his untimely demise under an exterminator's Timberlands.

Dean, a reaper encountered by Alas in Istanbul, George, a professional monster hunter, and the Panopticon also make appearances.

As of the writing of this node, Alas is MIA and has not been updated since March. However, the archived comics may still be read at www.clashingblack.com.

A*las" (#), interj. [OE. alas, allas, OF. alas, F. h'elas; a interj. (L. ah.) + las wretched (that I am), L. lassus weary, akin to E. late. See Late.]

An exclamation expressive of sorrow, pity, or apprehension of evil; -- in old writers, sometimes followed by day or white; alas the day, like alack a day, or alas the white.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.