SECTION 1. PUBLIC EDUCATION.
The legislature shall by general law establish and maintain a system of public schools open to all children of the State, and may provide for other public educational institutions. Schools and institutions so established shall be free from sectarian control. No money shall be paid from public funds for the direct benefit of any religious or other private educational institution.

SECTION 2. STATE UNIVERSITY.
The University of Alaska is hereby established as the state university and constituted a body corporate. It shall have title to all real and personal property now or hereafter set aside for or conveyed to it. Its property shall be administered and disposed of according to law.

SECTION 3. BOARD OF REGENTS OF UNIVERSITY.
The University of Alaska shall be governed by a board of regents. The regents shall be appointed by the governor, subject to confirmation by a majority of the members of the legislature in joint session. The board shall, in accordance with law, formulate policy and appoint the president of the university. He shall be the executive officer of the board.

SECTION 4. PUBLIC HEALTH.
The legislature shall provide for the promotion and protection of public health.

SECTION 5. PUBLIC WELFARE.
The legislature shall provide for public welfare.


Back - Alaska State Constitution - Next

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.