SECTION 1. STATE BOUNDARIES.
The State of Alaska shall consist of all the territory, together with the territorial waters appurtenant thereto, included in the Territory of Alaska upon the date of ratification of this constitution by the people of Alaska.

SECTION 2. INTERGOVERNMENTAL RELATIONS.
The State and its political subdivisions may cooperate with the United States and its territories, and with other states and their political subdivisions on matters of common interest. The respective legislative bodies may make appropriations for this purpose.

SECTION 3. OFFICE OF PROFIT.
Service in the armed forces of the United States or of the State is not an office or position of profit as the term is used in this constitution.

SECTION 4. DISQUALIFICATION FOR DISLOYALTY.
No person who advocates, or who aids or belongs to any party or organization or association which advocates, the overthrow by force or violence of the government of the United States or of the State shall be qualified to hold any public office of trust or profit under this constitution.

SECTION 5. OATH OF OFFICE.
All public officers, before entering upon the duties of their offices, shall take and subscribe to the following oath or affirmation: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Alaska, and that I will faithfully discharge my duties as . . . . . . . . to the best of my ability." The legislature may prescribe further oaths or affirmations.

SECTION 6. MERIT SYSTEM.
The legislature shall establish a system under which the merit principle will govern the employment of persons by the State.

SECTION 7. RETIREMENT SYSTEMS.
Membership in employee retirement systems of the State or its political subdivisions shall constitute a contractual relationship. Accrued benefits of these systems shall not be diminished or impaired.

SECTION 8. RESIDUAL POWER.
The enumeration of specified powers in this constitution shall not be construed as limiting the powers of the State.

SECTION 9. PROVISIONS SELF-EXECUTING.
The provisions of this constitution shall be construed to be self-executing whenever possible.

SECTION 10. INTERPRETATION.
Titles and subtitles shall not be used in construing this constitution. Personal pronouns used in this constitution shall be construed as including either sex.

SECTION 11. LAW-MAKING POWER.
As used in this constitution, the terms "by law" and "by the legislature," or variations of these terms, are used interchangeably when related to law-making powers. Unless clearly inapplicable, the law-making powers assigned to the legislature may be exercised by the people through the initiative, subject to the limitations of Article XI.

SECTION 12. DISCLAIMER AND AGREEMENT.
The State of Alaska and its people forever disclaim all right and title in or to any property belonging to the United States or subject to its disposition, and not granted or confirmed to the State or its political subdivisions, by or under the act admitting Alaska to the Union. The State and its people further disclaim all right or title in or to any property, including fishing rights, the right or title to which may be held by or for any Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut, or community thereof, as that right or title is defined in the act of admission. The State and its people agree that, unless otherwise provided by Congress, the property, as described in this section, shall remain subject to the absolute disposition of the United States. They further agree that no taxes will be imposed upon any such property, until otherwise provided by the Congress. This tax exemption shall not apply to property held by individuals in fee without restrictions on alienation.

SECTION 13. CONSENT TO ACT OF ADMISSION.
All provisions of the act admitting Alaska to the Union which reserve rights or powers to the United States, as well as those prescribing the terms or conditions of the grants of lands or other property, are consented to fully by the State and its people.

SECTION 14. APPROVAL OF FEDERAL AMENDMENT TO STATEHOOD ACT AFFECTING AN INTEREST OF THE STATE UNDER THAT ACT.
A federal statute or proposed federal statute that affects an interest of this State under the Act admitting Alaska to the Union is ineffective as against the State interest unless approved by a two-thirds vote of each house of the legislature or approved by the people of the State. The legislature may, by a resolution passed by a majority vote of each house, place the question of approval of the federal statute on the ballot for the next general election unless in the resolution placing the question of approval, the legislature requires the question to be placed before the voters at a special election. The approval of the federal statute by the people of the State is not effective unless the federal statute described in the resolution is ratified by a majority of the qualified voters of the State who vote on the question. Unless a summary of the question is provided in the resolution passed by the legislature, the lieutenant governor shall prepare an impartial summary of the question. The lieutenant governor shall present the question to the voters so that a "yes" vote on the question is a vote to approve the federal statute.


Back - Alaska State Constitution - Next

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.