1875-1965, Alsatian theologian, musician, and medical missionary.

In 1928, he won the Goethe-Prize awarded by the town of Frankfurt, Germany which gave him enough money to build his own home.

A physician, he established a hospital at Lambaréné, Gabon, which received broad international support and at which he lived most of his life.

He was a classically trained musician, an organist and expert on the music of Johann Sebastian Bach, He wrote a biography of the composer in 1905 and coedited his music 1912-14.

Schweitzer is less famous with the general public for his scholarly book, The Quest of the Historical Jesus, which was particularly concerned with eschatological themes and the ethical problems that confronted humanity while waiting for the end. Eventually, he rejected the theological enterprise in favor of a more philosophically meaningful life as a physician and activist. However, his scholarly work on the historical Jesus is still highly respected.

Books he wrote include:

Schweitzer's ethical philosophy, developed in his Philosophy of Civilization (1923), rests on his concept of reverence for life. Awarded the 1952 Nobel Prize in Peace.

He was second cousins with Jean-Paul Sartré.

Also see:


Source:
Simon, Charlie M.,"All Men Are Brothers: A Portrait of Albert Schweitzer", E. P. Dutton, NY

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.