Al-Zahrawi Abui-Qasim Khalaf ibn Abbas

Al-Zahrawi, or Albucasis, was a famous Islamic surgeon who lived from 936-1013 CE. He was born in Al Zahra'a, six miles northwest of Córdoba in Andalusía.

In his lifetime, Albucasis designed over two-hundred different surgical tools, with several uses. Some of his most common invented surgical tools were an instrument for the inspection of the urethra, an instrument to remove foreign things from the throat, and an instrument to inspect one's ear.

In his lifetime, he wrote one book, titled At-Tasrif liman 'Ajiza 'an at-Ta'lif (The Method of Medicine). This book had several illustrations for some of his surgical instruments, and it described the operations for many things, ranging from techniques to remove thyroid cysts to how to treat breast cancer. It also described how to prepare certain medicines. Another part of it was dedicated to dentistry.

Albucasis was the physician of King Al-Hakam-II of Spain. In his lifetime, he also treated many people, both inside and outside a hospital. In 1013 CE, he died.

____________________________________________________________

Source: http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/news_service/profile_story.asp?service_id=738

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.