The Alesis DM5 is an entry-level electronic percussion module. It can be triggered by any Midi instrument, or by a set of electronic drums or triggers hooked into any of its 12 trigger inputs. In this last case, a nice A-D converter converts the trigger signal to a Midi note with velocity information and plays the sample associated with that note.

The DM5 can store up to 20 unique drum sets, which I have found to be more than enough. Some of the predefined sets are nicer than others, but it's a remarkably easy-to-use unit, so redefining sets is not hard.

It makes a good drum module for an entry-level drummer, but it lacks both an effects proccessor and any way to add new samples, so it is limited. Sample editing is limited to volume, stereo pan, and 7 steps of pitch.

A nice feature it does have, though, is something called "Expanded Dynamic Articulation" - hitting a drum sample harder doesn't just increase the volume, it (in some cases) changes the character of a sample slightly to reflect the higher velocity. So if you hit a snare drum sample (for example) harder, you'll hear the ringy overtones often associated with that drum.

The DM5 has a decent selection of samples - just over 500, with about 100 kick drum and 100 snare drum samples making up the bulk of that. If you can afford it, a DMPro or Roland TD-8 are nicer "brains", but for the musician who needs high-quality samples and who does not have huge amounts of cash on hand, the DM5 offers pretty good reponse and nice sound selection.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.