An exhibition, conference, and pleasure centre on a hill in north London, with a large park around it, and with scenic views of London. The world's first regular television broadcasts were made from Alexandra Palace, in 1936.

It is not a palace. It was built in 1873 for much the same multiple purposes it now serves, though rather better as befitted the Victorian style: concert halls, lecture theatres, museums, and so on. Originally called the People's Palace, it was later named for the Princess of Wales (who became Queen Alexandra in 1901). Unfortunately it burnt down sixteen days after opening. It was quickly rebuilt at a cost of £412 000, an enormous sum.

In the twentieth century it fell into disrepair, and in 1980 again burnt down, fell over, and sank into the swamp. The main parts of it have been rebuilt but some wings are still gutted.

It often holds "fairs" on the weekends: collectors' fairs, car fairs, beauty and fashion fairs, computer fairs, and so on. There are also such entertainment facilities as an ice rink.

The parkland is quite pleasant but it is neither woodland nor wilderness. Alexandra Palace is in Muswell Hill. It is popularly known as Ally Pally.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.