Alfred A. Loeb State Park is a part of the Oregon State Park system, located in Curry County, twenty miles north of the California border and eight miles from the Pacific Ocean. It is in the middle of a somewhat unique ecosystem, since this section of the southern Oregon Coast has a much warmer climate than the stereotypical grey and mist that marks much of the Oregon Coast. The park is along the Chetco River, and is amongst a grove of Myrtle Trees. Amenities include RV parking and three cabins to rent, as well as places for more standard camping.

None of this is that surprising: other than the somewhat unique ecosystem of the Southern Oregon coast, this park is one of many small scenic state or county parks that dot the Pacific Northwest, especially along the coast. The park is pleasant, and the river view is nice, but that is not the reason to come to Loeb State Park.

About a mile from the park, along either the road or a hiking trail, lies something that is not part of the park, and yet is the best reason to visit it. Inside of the Siskiyou National Forest, lies the northernmost Redwood grove in the world. A short trail, a little over a mile in length, loops up and through a redwood forest. The forest is by turns dense and open, as undergrowth grows thickly along the sharply falling streams, only to end with the dense shade where the gigantic trees have created their canopy. The hiking is short, but tough, with the trail crossing over many small bridges.

As far as Redwood forests grow, this one is small both in area and the size of its trees: this is the northern limit of where these trees can grow, and they don't grow to the astounding size that they do in California. But a "small" Redwood tree is still an amazing thing to see. So a night at Alfred A. Loeb and the chance to leisurely explore this last example of a great ecosystem might be in order, especially for the geographical completist.


Official Website for Alfred A. Loeb: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_72.php

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.